Car seat in the crib? Where does your baby sleep??????

So my 3mos old recently got her first cold and couldn't lie flat in her crib so we ended up trying her carseat (even though she despises the carseat) to help her nose drain. Turns out she LOVES sleeping in it (we had an extra one) and has been sleeping longer periods in it. My question is: Do I continue to let her sleep in it even when she's 100% better, or should I ONLY use it when she's sick? What are your ideas? How do your babies sleep?

mire621

Asked by mire621 at 11:00 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think if this is working for you and your family, stick with it. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• when my daughter has a cough or nasty cold,she sleeps in her car seat in her room til the cold is gone.
    jess0403

Answer by jess0403 at 11:05 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Our youngest who is 10 now, slept in her carseat that was in her pac-n-play in our bedroom for several months. She just slept better in a semi-upright position. Not a thing wrong with it and by the time the 3rd one came along, as long as she was safe (buckled in) and slept well, all was happy in the house. I'd do it again 10 years later. Here's to a good nights rest!
    etown2reds

Answer by etown2reds at 11:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I've always heard that it is best that they sleep unconfined and in the crib. Something about spine development, motor skills, etc. That being said, my dd slept in her bouncy seat a lot the first month or 2 bc she'd wake almost immediately anywhere else.
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 11:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I think you are setting yourself up for a hard habit to break. When our kids were sick I would put a few books under the top half of the mattress in a wedge pattern to prop it up so they were sleeping at an incline - and it worked great!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• laying them on their side when congested helped up tons!! but ds wont sleep on his back so hes a tummy sleeper and he sleeps in his bassinet until he wakes up to nurse then sleeps the rest of the night in our bed. during the day he naps wherever he is.
    now dd on the other hand slept in her swing for the first 4 months ofher life because if we laid her flat shed throw up everytime... good luck momma and do what works best just make sure she doesnt spend tooo much time in any certain position
    MrsDuff

Answer by MrsDuff at 11:09 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I wouldn't keep her in the carseat. It's actually not good for their spine to be in that position for long periods of time.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 11:12 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• doing it while they are congested is fine but to have them sleep in a carseat or bouncer all the time does not help the spine much..the spine is growing and can grow crooked if the back is always at an incline...
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 11:16 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• My 10 month old has awful congestion right now and you better believe she's sleeping in her car seat in her crib right now. Because it's the only way she will sleep without being held.

Hope your little one is better soon!

AND I wouldn't continue letting the car seat be the sleep method/place of choice once the congestion has left - it really isn't the optimal choice (of course, drinking Mt. Dew isn't the optimal drink for me, either but I sure do drink it).
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 11:37 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• My son slept in his car seat from about 2mos to almost 6mos! He slept well in his bassinet with the "wedge" that elevated him but once he outgrew that he would NOT sleep in his crib. We had him in the carseat only because we bought one of those swings that you could just attach the car seat too and realized he slept better that way so he pretty much slept in it every night until he was too big. I don't see a problem if the baby is comfortable, and the only argument I can even slightly agree with is that it's not good for their heads to be resting on the "harder" surface all night but we always had a receiving blanket folded underneath him so it was pretty much just as padded as a crib mattress. And he never had any problems with his neck/head.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:55 PM on Jan. 20, 2011