WTH? I just got a text weather alert for freezing fog...

That sounds pretty painful to me. Have you heard of that?

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 11:25 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Tonight we have a freeze warning. 30 below zero! The heat is on high and it's cold in here!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:08 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Here we go - Thanks Wikipedia!

Freezing fog occurs when liquid fog droplets freeze to surfaces, forming white soft or hard rime.[22] This is very common on mountain tops which are exposed to low clouds. It is equivalent to freezing rain, and essentially the same as the ice that forms inside a freezer which is not of the "frostless" or "frost-free" type. The term "freezing fog" may also refer to fog where water vapor is super-cooled, filling the air with small ice crystals similar to very light snow. It seems to make the fog "tangible", as if one could "grab a handful".

jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:36 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Yes, I live in Oregon & we've had freezing fog, basically the moisture from the fog freezes on contact. Similar to the way freezing rain is.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:42 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Hovering ice? LOL
    Anonymous

• No, but I just watched a youtube video where a gil boiled water then threw it up into the air and it was so cold outside it instantly evaporated into fog LOL. Maybe that's similar lol?
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:34 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• fog is a cloud, much like how steam is. When cold temp meets hot temp, we get a cloud. Just so happens the cold and hot temp combined this time will be below or at 0degrees Celsius.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 11:42 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• brrrrrrrrrrr -------- I think it's time for some hot chocolate.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:45 PM on Jan. 20, 2011