hate my engagement ring ...

I love my fiance... He is wonderful but we have been going through a rocky patch.... I asked for a sign if he really was the one for me... and that same night he proposed !! ..but I hate the engagment ring, it is absolutely something that I cant stand, and cant imagine having it for the rest of my life ( I like more feminine and vintage looking jewelry... and this ring is just a huge platnium plain band with one small circle diamond..- very plain and very modern )

I do not know how to take that... is that a sign or not... I asked for a sign if he is the one, and him asking me to marry him would be an obvious sign that he is - but then I think that since he got me such an obvious ring that is no way "me " it is saying that he doesnt know me, and is not the one....

( also, I did tell him yes, but then we had a talk and I told him that I think I want to wait until later next year before we actually do it )

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in Relationships

• Before you got engaged did you discuss what kind of engagement ring you would like to have?
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 11:36 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• i'm not trying to be mean, but you sound spoiled. the ring isn't that important the relationship is. id just tell him about it unless you know it will hurt his feelings. if it would i would suck it up and wear it. you can get a "new" ring for your 1st anniversary :)
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• well I have shown him the kind of jewelry I like before.... and he got me a beautiful necklace and earrings for my birthday and Christmas ... and I have pointed out rings before too,
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:39 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• It's not that I am spoiled because I am wearing it and will wear it and show it off.... but I am wondering about it because I believe this is a sign....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:40 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• Honey be happy that you actually got a ring. It doesn't matter what it looks like its the sentimental value that counts. When I proposed to my wife I was to broke to afford a ring. Yes I'm ashamed to say that but at least I showed her that I was serious about us...
    shellbi19

Answer by shellbi19 at 11:40 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• U should have tols him what kind of rings u like, plus is it really that bad? u cant just accept it i mean the purpose of it should matter not what it looks like like the old saying " Its the thought that counts" If its that bad myabe u can trade it in..
    Cherriemama831

Answer by Cherriemama831 at 11:40 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• WOW! i'm not sure what to even say about this- but, i bet when he was picking your ring out, he put his Whole Heart into it & thought you would put your Whole Heart into wearing it Proudly for the Rest of your Life- i have a feeling that you guys probably were not meant to be...........

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 11:41 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• You could take what happened, a mill. different ways, but in the end, no "sign" can tell you what is truly in your heart and head. It's prob. a great idea to wait a bit, enjoy the engagement, and really do some soul searching as to what you really want for your future, and who you want to share your future with. As for the ring, I can't really comment since I told my hubby to get me anything, as long as it didn't turn my finger green. lol. To me, the ring is just a material symbol. (Maybe you can get a ring that you like better in the future, as an "anniversary" gift?) I loved my ring because my hubby picked it out just for me. Unfortunetly it got stolen, along w/ my wedding band, and my hubby ended up having to pawn his, and we couldn't get it back, so my advice, is to really think about things, and if you decide it's him you want as your husband, then cherish the ring, and never take it off. Good luck!!
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 11:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• My hubby just went out and got one no signs nothing And I wasn't happy so we upgraded and while this ring is beautiful it doesn't have the memories and id kill for my first one back
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 11:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I don't think that it is a sign. I think that it is merely a difference in tastes. Guys do not always get things right but it is the thought behind it that matters.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:51 PM on Jan. 20, 2011