Ever get frustrated on how to discipline your kids in public?

As an example, when you are so damn mad at your kid or just plain annoyed at their behavior but worry how people are going to look at you? I get worried that people are going to claim child abuse when all I do is scold my kid for being obnoxious. This is causing him to yell back at me and tell me what to do. Of course I don't listen to him, but so many people are like discipline your kid but don't because it is soooo unethical! It drives me nuts!

MelisaVaughan

Asked by MelisaVaughan at 11:45 PM on Jan. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• I really try to watch our tone in public. I have heard people who don't know I am mom(in another isle or behind looking at something), talk about my husbands tone or how he said something. Its like some people want you to "control" your kids without discipline.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 11:49 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I treat them outside the same way I do inside. I gently correct them if they're misbehaving or redirect them. Then when we get home I tell them that overall I was proud of the way they behaved, however I would like them to stay closer to me, or not talk to strangers, or whatever they did, IF they did.
    ToraMay

Answer by ToraMay at 11:51 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• i feel you on you that one..i experience that one all the time!!
    meglynn0919

Answer by meglynn0919 at 11:53 PM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I know you have to be careful of what you do in public with your kids these days. People will scream abuse or whatever in public so we have to be careful of our actions. The best thing you can do is tell your child that you will discuss the matter when you get home. It's the only way to be sure you won't be caught in your actions.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:03 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Nope. I have never once worried about how other people viewed or felt about how I discipline my own children, whether at home or in public. If someone doesn't like it - tough - it's my duty as a parent to discipline, and I will do so as I need to.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:32 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• We don't let the kids run wild, talk back, etc at home so it's very easy and natural for them to act the same way in public. I'm real good at the grit your teeth and say something quietly in public routine...lol
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 12:37 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• yep, and if you say anything about how your going to punish them you get nasty looks.
    sandbuster

Answer by sandbuster at 7:18 AM on Jan. 21, 2011