Is freaking out...... adult content

I am 13 weeks prego and I really want to breast feed. However I did that with my son and I somehow got mastitis severe and it ruined my breast milk and made him real sick. It actually caused him to have acid reflux. I am trying to figure out if it is best to breast feed or not. I am scared of hurting my baby. Some advice please ladies would greatly help.

ready4baby2011

Asked by ready4baby2011 at 12:08 AM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Pregnancy

• i've never heard of that before, so i'm not much help. maybe you could ask your doctor.
    shoot4thestars

Answer by shoot4thestars at 12:16 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I will. I just think about it and I get so scared. I dont want to do something that could hurt the baby.
    ready4baby2011

Comment by ready4baby2011 (original poster) at 12:17 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• It's always worth it to try. If you get mastitis again, you can pump while you're taking antibiotics (and dump the milk), then resume nursing. It happens. It's a common ailment, unfortunately, but it can be overcome with support. Try not to let your fears get the best of you. Breast is almost always best, and you'll be glad you did it! If you DO get mastitis again, your first visit after the doc should be to a lactation consultant. They can help keep you on track. Also, be aware that your diet affects your milk, thus your baby. DS had all kinds of tummy trouble until I cut out dairy, and then he was fine. Might be something to try next time. =) Good luck! You can do it!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:48 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Hi there, congrats on creating a little one. What is good for one baby can be bad for another. My advise is to try breast feeding and if your new baby is having reflux problems then talk to your doctor about substituting formula. There are some wonderful formulas out there that give your baby an ample amount of nutrition. We all know that breastfeeding is the best for both mommy and baby but its not always feasible.

kabseattle

Answer by kabseattle at 1:03 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Pray for no mastitis hopefully, if u get it message me. I'm a Lactation Consultant. Just remember my user name.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 3:15 PM on Jan. 22, 2011