Relief for a cold

Hey girls. so i just came down with the cold and wanted to know if any of u have had this year or is the same and what is helping u to relieve it. i feel like crap. took some ibuprofen for the sore throat and headaches and allergy medicine for the sneezing, but need something to help, help me on this.

cataquiroz24

Asked by cataquiroz24 at 12:14 AM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Health

• I love to inhale Vicks when I am sick. Cough drops usually help, and a nice steamy shower. The hotter, the better.

I also LOVE warm drinks when I am sick.

Then I plop down on some fluffy pillows and watch movies with plenty of liquids.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 12:16 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• u lucky but i think i cought bc im always going outside with a thin jacket on and not covered correctly for this kind of weather.
    and im not the one who gets sick easy its always my dh or my son.
    cataquiroz24

Comment by cataquiroz24 (original poster) at 12:18 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• put vicks vapor rub on your feet, chest, neck and back, and go to bed!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:22 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Lol. I couldn't do that. I can't put Vicks on me. Makes me feel disgusting.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• If you're up for natural remedies, I highly recommend Gypsy Cold Tea by Traditional Medicinals with some honey added. It helps me a lot. There's also a night version, but I will warn you, it will conk you out! Occillococcinum is great, too. I hope you feel better soon!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:24 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Someone on here told me to try Ginger Tea at one time. It really helps. Just heat the water and add about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of ginger in it, add some sugar and some cinnamon is you like. It kind of burns going down, but it's a good burn.. LOL!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:26 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Zinc lozenges for sore throat, vitamin C, echinacea, vitamin B complex, tea with honey, chicken noodle soup, lots of water, and plenty rest.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 1:03 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Believe it or not but a old natural remedy I use is garlic.. I know it smells bad & awful when snuggling with ur honey but it works. Its better to use fresh raw garlic. Chop a clove in ur salad or chicken noodle soup or jus mince it & chase it dwn w/ a glass of water. Also herbal teas. Add ur own honey & a cough drop or peppermint candy/ oil and sip. That helps with us sore throat plus it may help with the smell of the garlic.. Lol. Use garlic at night if u dnt want to smell like it around others. Hope u feel better soon.
    tiamesmer

Answer by tiamesmer at 2:50 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Avoid dairy while you are sick – it can increase the amount of mucus your body produces.
    Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient.
    Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother.
    Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.).
    I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm
    Get some Elderberry syrup.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:18 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.
    Most important, stay well hydrated!
    I always make miso soup when someone is sick
    Morning miso
    2 cups veg. broth
    2 cups hot water
    4 Tbsp. miso
    1 tsp. fresh ginger root, grated
    1/2 cup diced firm tofu
    3 Tbsp. thinly sliced scallion greens
    1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
    I have substituted onion for the scallions, and left out the mushrooms. I have also added some thinly sliced chinese cabbage, because I happened to have it.)

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 6:19 AM on Jan. 21, 2011