piss poor parenting?

can someone get into trouble for allowing a minor (12) take his own addictive meds independently ? what would happen to parents if that minor had to be taken to an emercency room by ambulance say while at school because of minor accidentally overdosing that am ? would there be an investigation by CYS etc? parents allow minor to control own prescription med bottles. they saud they are teaching him to be independent. i say ppp piss poor parenting and definately a very dangerous risk. would u report this situation? why can some parents use any common sense? :0/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Jan. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• i meant to say why can't parents use any common sense. there is also another younger minor (6) in household that could easily get the meds I assume. pathetic people!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:34 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• How do you know the meds are addictive? Do you know what he's taking? Has the mother told you he is in charge of his pills? Has he ACTUALLY overdosed or is this just you speculating a hypothetical situation? I'm asking because it's hard to say if you are just being judgemental or if this is actually happening.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:38 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Well, I don't know, I would say it depends on the meds and the kid. I was started on medication by that age and I was always the one in charge of making sure I took my pills and took them on time. I was a very responsible kid about those kinds of things and my mother knew it... Which is most likely why I don't see an issue with it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:52 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I don't think a twelve yr old should be in control of any medicine. Why is a 12 yo taking "addictive medicine"? As for reporting it....in my experience with DCS (foster parent) they might investigate the situation but if that's the only hinky thing going on nothing will ever be done about it other than someone telling the parents they should not let him have them.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 12:57 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I believe it would be poor parenting to allow a 12 year old to be the only one in control of taking his/her medications. Why take the risk? If my children required any kind of medication I'd be the one storing it in a safe place and making sure it's being taken as prescribed even if it wasn't an addictive medication; until my children are grown and living on their own they are my responsibility and it would be my responsibility to make sure they are taking their meds correctly and that the drugs would not be lost of misused.

momof2inCT2007

Answer by momof2inCT2007 at 1:44 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I guess it would depend on exactly what the meds are and how responsible was the kid.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:08 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I wouldn't let my 12 year old be in control of her own meds, and yes you can call cps and get them involved but unless they see abuse or neglect they will not do anything, My sil is a drug addict who spends her money and pa benifits on drugs and lets her kids do without, they are all under 6 ad she lets them do whatever they want with no parental vision at all, cps has been called more than once on her and they never do anything. sadly it is the children who suffer and do without.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 8:59 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• momto4girzls... now that is totally rediculous!!!! imo I don't understand cps etc in state of Pa people get away with way too much for a very long time. it's hidious!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:37 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• yes mother told me herself the meds he's on (zoloft not sure other names of his meds; he has asperberg) . i was on same med as this 12 yr old and he takes double dose higher than what I was and . more times daily with other meds bsides.(one sleep aid i do know of) as me as well. the youngest son had been taken to er before for getting into and drinking liquid med before because of mother leaving meds on dresser. ;i didn't have sleep aids only zoloft. I pray my nephew doesn't have any er emergencies.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:46 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• yes mother has told me that she makes him be responsible for taking his own meds everyday at same times. He gets into trouble if he doesn't remember to do it independently. zoloft does effect memory. not kid fault. bunch of bs and ppp! I told her my opinons in a very friendly manner now she's ticked. oh well.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:49 AM on Jan. 21, 2011