Why do people ask you this when you are pregnant?

"Are you ready to be a Mom?"

I'm still pregnant, I feel as ready as I can be. Even if I wasn't, I'm still going to be one aren't I?

I just never know how to answer that question. I think it's kind of a nosey question too.

What do you say in that case? I don't know if I am even making sense...

lol

KelsoBabeyy

Asked by KelsoBabeyy at 5:53 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Pregnancy

• LOL! I never really thought about it.

Well...it's kind of too late to ask if you're ready to be a mom, right? You're already pregnant, in a way you already are a mom and you're as ready as you'll ever be. I mean, seriously, are you going to say "HELL NO. I'M PREGNANT BUT I DON'T WANNA BE A MOM OMGERRZZZ." I know people don't ask that question to be rude or anything...but still. It DOES seem a bit redundant.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:56 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I think they're just trying to get you to talk about the plans you have made, the things you have done, and what you think it will be like. I get asked the same thing just because I'm pregnant even though I'm already a mom. I've never really thought about it as being negative, I usually answer with "I think my daughter is going to be jealous of the new baby" or "I don't really have much left to buy" and that seems to answer whatever it is they're asking.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 6:02 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• When I was pregnant with my first I had a women ask me if I was married and whether I was a Christian. I'm both but that was outa line!
    blainesmommy03

Answer by blainesmommy03 at 6:09 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• People ask ridiculous questions to pregnant women- don't know why- its like the bump turns on the stupid button for people. I learned with my 1st pregnancy to tell people that I didn't think that their question was appropriate & leave it at that. I also HATE when people you don't know reach out to touch your tummy! I quickly step back and say- I'm sorry but I'd rather you not do that, thanks : )
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 6:17 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• My kid is 3 and I'm still not ready haha.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 6:20 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I think it's more people talking without thinking than people intentionally being rude, but it can still be annoying. It gets even worse after the baby is born - you can't take a newborn ANYWHERE without getting questions, comments, or advice that you didn't ask for! I found that very short simple answers usually satisfied most people, but sometimes I just tried to pretend I didn't hear them.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:21 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• "When I was pregnant with my first I had a women ask me if I was married and whether I was a Christian. I'm both but that was outa line!"

Oh lawd.
    I've had more than one person ask me this.
    You should see their faces when I said "No I'm not married, and I'm spiritual, not religious." Hahaha xD
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 6:22 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I would just point to my 6 year old son and say nothing. >.o
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 6:36 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I think it's just a different way of saying, "Are you nervous?" "Do you have everything ready?"
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:41 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Then they say

Are you sure youre ready to deal with them screaming and crying and waking up in the middle of the night..

why are random people so freaking nosey and rude?? lol
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 6:43 PM on Nov. 13, 2008