If separated/ divorced etc. Do you get along w/ other parent and step parent?

Are you civil for the kids sakes? Friendly because there is no friction between you and no reason not to be? Vengeful because wounds are still open and the healing process has yet to begin? Indifferent? Get along w/ the parent, but not the step parent/ so, etc? Get along w/ the step parent/ so, better than the other parent? Avoid all contact w/ both parent and step/ so whenever poss.? Best friends w/ both and actually hang out? Sorry, I know that's a lot of questions, but I'm really curious and wanted to cover everything.

HappyEndings

Asked by HappyEndings at 12:46 AM on Jan. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• My ex and I (and his wife) get a long fine. We're not "friends," but we treat each other with respect. We don't talk about anything other than the kids. IMO, I think this is the way it should be.

My DH's ex is a nightmare. She is bitter and hateful, even though she is herself remarried. We avoid her like the plague, and DH only talks to her when absolutely necessary.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:09 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I will detest my EX until the day he dies. He's a selfish, disgusting excuse for a human being. He abused me in ways that no one should ever have to deal with. He's a liar, a fake, and a lazy SOB... So no, we're not and and never will be friends.
    He has made our boys lie for him, told them that one of these days he will take them away from me, messed with their heads in ways that make me sick to think about. I fortunately have full custody so I can limit the visits, and our older son had gotten to the point where he doesn't want to see him. It won't be long before they decide they don't want to go at all, and I won't force them.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:54 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• My ex and I get along pretty well usually. Sometimes he does/says something to really piss me off but it blows over pretty quickly. We are actually better friends now than when we were together. I get along with his girlfriend just fine. Mostly because she isn't trying to be my son's mother, she just tries to help my ex out.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:48 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• We avoid each other and only communicate via email.

Answer by missanc at 8:46 AM on Jan. 21, 2011