Black moms: I have a hair emergency!! Can you help me??

I put a relaxer in my hair in Sept 2010. I tried to retouch it right before Thanksgiving, and it didn't take very well. I haven't retouched the relaxer since. I don't comb my hair very often (because I get depressed and because I'm always wearing knit caps/hoods anyway due to the cold and snow), so when I wash my hair, it comes out in clumps.

What do you suggest I do? Should I just cut the relaxer out, and deal with short nappy hair for who knows how long? I'm just thinking ahead to when the weather gets warmer, and I can't hide my hair underneath hats and hoods and scarves.

Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• stop relaxing your hair, the same ingredients from chemical hair removers like nair, is in a relaxer. Harsh chemicals that can blind you. Girl you need to watch Good Hair by Chris Rock, it's more like an informative documentary about the African American Hair Industry.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:05 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I am not a professional but, I would cut it braid it and wear a wig until it grows out. It is winter and a wig is much cuter than a wool cap.After that I would see a professional. It is cold outside

emilysmom1966

Answer by emilysmom1966 at 7:08 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Permanents are called permanent for good reason. The bonds in the hair are destroyed when the hair is relaxed. The part of the hair that has been relaxed will never be "natural" again. The only way to get rid of relaxed hair is to cut it off or wait for it to break off. Waiting for the hair to break off is not a good transition option. But, some women choose it because they are uncomfortable giving up the length they've worked hard to get. There are ways to transition from relaxed hair to natural hair. But, the relaxed hair will never be natural again.
    Hope this helped. GL
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:57 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• BTW, I got that from this site:

http://www.treasuredlocks.com/blhacafa.html#remove
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:59 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• hi there momma, same issue as you. this is what I did. I cut off as much split ends as i could, i stopped relaxing my hair and started using Hair One w/olive oil sold at Sally beauty. This stuff transformed my hair. for the first time, my hair is finally growing. it is now up to my shoulders, when i cut it it was to the nape of my neck. my hair is so much more manageable. Hope everything works out well.
    gummybearmomma

Answer by gummybearmomma at 1:25 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Hi! I am a licensed professional. I am not black myself but I have a ton of experience in ethnic hair, relaxers and texture. Yes, stop with the relaxer. Some people can't handle the lye and it makes their hair fall out. It's also very possible if you used a different type of relaxer than you did previously they clashed. For now try some heavy moisture shampoo and conditioner, and I would suggest getting a treatment at a salon to put protein and moisture back in the internally. It will encourage it to grow!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:57 AM on Jan. 21, 2011