Do you believe school officials can be abusive to it's students? Can you fully trust you child's school with their well being?

My child told me the school told him I need to mind my own business, because I was advocating and trying to get to the bottom of why he was coming home with huge bruises without accident reports! 

ladynell4god

Asked by ladynell4god at 12:58 AM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I was physically and emotionally abused by a teacher in the 7th grade. I also saw her hit kids with a ruler. When I told on her, she took me in the office and lectured me about lying and being malighning. I saw what I saw, and I know what she did. My mom, however believed me. There were other kids telling too.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:01 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• YOUR CHILD OS YOUR BUSINESS!!!! IF U DON'T GET AN SATISFACTION FROM THE SCHOOL,GO TO THE POLICE AND BE SURE TO TAKE PICTURES OF YOUR CHILDS BRUISES!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:08 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• This and many other reasons (kids with guns etc.) are really making me consider homeschooling. My MIL is a teacher and absolutely wonderful with my daughter. Between the two of us, she could definitely have a very well balanced education. I'm sorry OP......the school should tell you EVERYTHING!! You are NOT wrong! I can't imagine any good reason why a child would be coming home with bruises unless she has a bully or the teachers are abusive..............NEITHER are acceptable! I hope you get your justice!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:40 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Humans have yet to invent any kind of institution, from mental homes to nunneries, where abuse *can't* happen... of course, abuse happens in schools. Every day of the year.

Call the police if you suspect abuse. That's the deal, actually: if you don't contact the authorities (who will do the investigating for you, it's NOT your job), you might as well be holding the kid down.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:55 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• And the sad thing about it is: these teachers are getting away with it! The same teacher another little boy told me she popped him on the hand with the ruler: the ruler my child told me she hit him with, when I saw a hump on his bottom. When she was questioned in a meeting, she, the principal, and other teachers said it didn't happen. As usual, they always say nothing ever happened. Even the district chief officer under the superintendent says the same thing, and wouldn't investigate. He went by the principal's word and sent me a note stating that's what he did. I know, this is crazy and sounds unreal: but this is what my 8 year old and other students are telling me. It's a form of retaliation because I advocate for their rights, and the school doesn't want to accept that kids with ADHD and other behavioral problems have a disability. They want their behavior perfect. Another mother reported on the news as well!
    ladynell4god

Comment by ladynell4god (original poster) at 3:38 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Oh my gosh if my daughter came home and told me that I'd be up to that school in a new york minute! I would also contact a lawyer. Even if your school has corporal punishment if you put it in writing that your child is NOT to be physically touched they have to abide by your wishes. This is terrible and I'd def. find out what the hecks going on in that place.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 7:32 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• i would have gotten a lawyer the end sue the shit out of the school and the teacher..
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 10:53 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I homeschool for this as well as many other reasons.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 12:16 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• You know what? this makes me SICK! I AM PETRIFIED BECAUSE MY SON STARTS KINDERGARTEN THIS YEAR AND SHIT!!! IF this were me and my child not only would i be up to the school going mad but i would also ask to sit in on a day of class just to observe what my child does day by day. Then when your there you can watch the teachers body language, verbal tone, facial expressions ect. She will obviously hold back if she is doing anything wrong BUT if you can read her well enough you will get an idea of who she is. Then i would contact a lawyer and see what my rights are as far as the school goes and finally, if my child and other children were coming home or up to me with bruises and my son said she hit him, i would NEVER doubt him and take him out of that school and press charges. I would prob end up with charges pressed on me as well because i would probably find the biggest ruler out there and beat her face with it! ggrrrrr....
    simonsmama2022

Answer by simonsmama2022 at 1:05 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I am a firm believer that children are never safe ANYWHERE.  Not in a church, a school, etc.  NOWHERE!  It is only up to US that they be kept safe and I commend you for speaking out and posting this and for LISTENING to your child when so many don't!  I would pull my kid out of that school.  My son starts school this fall and I am completely worried because of all of the horror stories I have heard JUST on Cafemom about schools and the horrible things that have happened!

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 8:41 PM on Jan. 21, 2011