Headaches

How often you get headaches? How long do they last and how do you get rid of it?

I get headaches all the time and they almost always last 3 to 4 days and sometimes as much as a week. All together I probably have a headache 1 1/2 to 2 weeks a month, every month.

Julia0331

Asked by Julia0331 at 1:02 AM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Health

• Are you drinking enough water? What's your diet like? When I cut out processed foods, my headaches disappeared. When I do eat them, even for 1 day, I get a headache. Start with that. Also, are they in line with your periods? The hormone shifts can cause headaches and migraines.
    Keep a food log, and document when you're getting the headaches. Do this for at least a couple of weeks, and then go back and look for patterns. It's not a quick fix, per se, but it can be a long term solution. I hope this helps!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:05 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Semi-annually... maybe less often. Rare enough that when I have a headache it takes me hours to figure out what's wrong and even longer to think of something to do about it.

It might be a good idea to keep a journal, so when you go to the doctor you have any useful information: write down what you eat, what kinds of activities you're doing, how much you're drinking (I mean water, but you may find it's wine, crappy beer or pop), caffeine intake, whether or not you've been outside or been active yet today, how much sleep you've had... anything that changes from day to day. Also mark when headaches start, where you feel them, if they change over time, and what you treat them with --and whether or not it works.

When you've had 20 or 30 headaches, it might become obvious.

Do you know about 'rebound' headaches? They happen when you use tylenol or aspirin or advil often, as they wear off.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:10 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I have nearly constant headaches that doctors can't figure out the reason for. I know how you feel, mama. :( Unfortunately, I haven't found anything that helps with my headaches or migraines. But I feel your pain.
    Holly.

Answer by Holly. at 1:16 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I don't get headaches very often...I hope you ladies get well...
    the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 1:32 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Once or twice a week, at the least. They either go away on their own, or Motrin helps sometimes. Otherwise, I just have to sleep them off. Same with migraines..I get those once a month or so.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 1:35 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I've had headaches like this since a was a child, before I was even school aged. My mom and her sister both have them like this but not theirs don't last as long or come as often. I've seen doctors, I've had CAT scans and MRI's, I avoid certain foods that are known to trigger headaches (nuts, wine, aged cheese, etc.) and I've taken more medicines than I can remember but nothing. Just wondering if any one has found some new wonderful way of helping them that I don't know about yet.

sad

Julia0331

Comment by Julia0331 (original poster) at 1:37 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• That sounds like me. I didn't start getting them until I was about 7 or 8, though. Mine are always worse when my glasses prescription is getting too weak, but to keep a prescription that was strong enough, I would have to get new glasses 2-3 times a year (yeah, my vision is degrading that bad). Certain birth controls make mine worse, also. I haven't really found anything that helps. I've tried teas, OTC meds, prescription meds, etc. with no luck. I swear at this point I would smoke weed to help them (if it wasn't illegal). Bump because I hope you get a good answer, and I would like to know also.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:18 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I have been getting migraines since I was eleven. The three most common causes are food triggers, dehydration and magnesium deficiency.

Be sure to drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day.

Take a magnesium supplement daily (I take a cal/mag/D)

Keep a food diary to learn what your triggers are. Some of the most common are MSG, chocolate, treenuts, nitrates

Answer by rkoloms at 6:22 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Looks like you've got some good suggestions above, which all sound plausible. I'll add one more...I get frequent headaches when my allergies flare up. Do you have allergies? Is the pain always in the same area, and if so, where? Mine are almost always in the classic sinus areas: forehead, temples, in between the eyes, etc. If you think this could be part of it, are they year round? Mine are because of a dust mite allergy. I started using the anti-allergan bedding, an air purifier, a neti pot, and I vacuum 3-4 times a week. Is a lot of work, but it helps me not feel so crappy, so it's worth it. I also don't have to take as much pain medicine, which really messes with my stomach on occasion. Hope that helps.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I get migraines about 3-4 times a week. I'm still looking for the magic bullet.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 12:14 PM on Jan. 21, 2011