Babies First Plane Ride?

My son is 14 months old and i am taking him on his first plane ride which is 7 hours long.. I'm just wondering should i give him some meds before i get on and if so what kind? I know it hurts little babies ears so i dont want him to be in pain or anything.

proudmama930

Asked by proudmama930 at 1:43 AM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DD was 13 months when we took her on her first plane trip. It was only 2.5 hours, but she did great. if your child sucks a pacifier give it to them on take off and landing to help with teh pressure. The sucking helps. I didnt give my DD anything she actually fell asleep on her on on my lap. I dont like the idea of givng kids meds without an illness, but each parent is different so it is really up to you and how much sanity you want to have at the end of the trip.
    melliesmom1207

Answer by melliesmom1207 at 1:51 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Give him something to suck on for take off and landing. That is what I do with my DS and he does great. He has never reallly had a problem with his ears bothering him and he has been flying since he was 3 months old. I wouldn't medicate him unless he was actually sick.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:02 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• i'm taking all 4 of my kids with me one being 3 and then 5 and 6 so i dont think i am going to have much sanity left... Everyone i have ever talked to said their kids slept through the whole trip so i am hoping i get that hopeful with him
    proudmama930

Comment by proudmama930 (original poster) at 2:02 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I have four kids...granted, I only flew with two of them as my husband flew ahead with the other two...I had the 3 year old and the baby was 7 months at the time. I just gave sucking candy to the oldest and gave the baby a paci which was hard b/c he didn't like them, but he did get attached to his fingers. They have movies entertaining the kids, my flight gave the kids table games to play with and the baby slept after take off, but my flight was almost 2 days in the air. The only issues were diaper changes in the cramped seats, but as far as meds go...unless the child is in utter pain, its not really needed because once they get to the normal altitude in the air, all is fine again...its just the up and down in the process of getting to stability. G'luck on the flight.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 2:13 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• i am going on a military hop which is a cargo plane which doesnt have big seats or movies so thats what worries me... My husband cant go with me either..
    proudmama930

Comment by proudmama930 (original poster) at 2:24 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Will your older kids have stuff to do at least? Those hoppers can be SO boring! For the little ones if they still have a plug use it but you can always ask your coreman if there is anything they suggest. The hardest part is that most meds now are ages 6 and up only. For the older two maybe let them have chew gum or a sucker?
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 3:08 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• yeah my older two have leapster games i am bringing for them and my 3 year old i am bringing a video player so he can watch movies .. but my baby is the one i am worried about how do i keep him quiet for 7 hours..
    proudmama930

Comment by proudmama930 (original poster) at 3:13 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• My DD has been flying since she was 2 weeks no lie! She has flown over 20 times in the past almost 2 years and enjoys the plane ride more and more each time. I wish you the best of luck I am sure they'll be fine.
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 6:55 AM on Jan. 21, 2011