How do you help prevent/stop gas in a 3 week old?

My boy seems to be having gas really bad. Almost like hes constipated but he's poop is loose. Is this normal? The mylicon gas drops seem to work for a little bit but are there any other answers?

babyjohnson1028

Asked by babyjohnson1028 at 6:01 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mylicon bottles...only 2 serial numbers were recalled, and it's somewhere out there. What kind of formula is the baby on? Assuming it's formula. Is the baby fussy with the gas or just tooting a lot? My son toots up a storm now that he is on soy, but he isn't colicky. If the baby is colicky like and seems to have an upset tummy all the time, you can switch formulas. I had to switch our son to Nutramigen at 6 weeks of age...after I dried up, and he had an allergic reaction to milk based formula, and wasn't adjusting to the soy yet.... their bellies and systems are very sensitive. The Nutramigen is pricey, but it is only temporary usually, until their system matures. Then you have to slowly mix what ever formula you're going to re-introduce in with it when that time comes. Switching formulas suddenly is a shock to their system, so I learned! Makes all that gas and digestive problems even worse!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 11:25 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• it could be the formula, or it could be the bottles giving him gas. i use Vent-air bottles, they keep gas away from my babies...
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 6:03 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• infant gas drops...there are a few different brands out there. They worked for my son and many of my friends have used them too. My dr. said it was fine to use.
    Anonymous

• bottles will make a big difference with gas also I would only give 2 drops of gas drops sometimes when you give .4 or whatever it is that settles the baby's stomach too much and they have their need to eat more and that will give more gas hope this helps

Anonymous

• Ohh yeah vent air bottles are great to

Anonymous

• GOD BLESS MYLACON!!!!...There is also a cheaper version at walmart that is just as effective. I love the platex liner type bottle, I squeeze all the air out before I give it to her...Helps a bit.
    keepitsimple088

Answer by keepitsimple088 at 8:37 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• There is a recall on Mylacon gas drops. Don't use.
    mumof2girlz

Answer by mumof2girlz at 9:35 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• i have all dr browns bottles. thanks for all the help ladies!
    babyjohnson1028

Answer by babyjohnson1028 at 9:51 PM on Nov. 13, 2008