Do you think it is important that a child be raised with a loving and supportive relationship from both a male and female?

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 5:38 AM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Yes, I do. But most importantly I think it's vital for children to have loving relationships that help nurture a child's growth with MANY different people.

Typically, and this is scientifically proven, if there isn't a father figure role in the household a girl will strive for that later in her life. Same goes for a boy if there isn't a Mother figure.

I think in order to raise healthy children, a parent (or parents) need to be able to provide love and direction and have as much of a support system as possible.

And if a father or a mother role isn't a possibility, this might want to be discussed in counseling if the child starts exhibiting and showing problems. It is normal for kids to be raised by two parents, not all the time together (married), but being raised in a two female or a two male home is not the norm... and our general mind sets are not typically prepared to handle it. Sometimes counseling is necessary.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 5:42 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I do think that it's important and offers the best chances of a child being emotionally healthy and well-rounded. HOWEVER--just as I don't believe that the nuclear family household guarantees that all will be well with the child, I just as firmly believe that it is possible for children who are in different situations to be stable and happy as well. I just think it takes more work that way, and perhaps special efforts to make sure that the child is receiving positive influence and guidance from both genders, even if it means enlisting the help of a grandfather, an uncle, a trusted friend, etc.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:43 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• It's important for children to be in a house full of love, support, and peace.
    I don't think it matters whether that comes from one, two, or three or twenty parental figures......

When there is a split so many households are filled with anger, mistrust and betrayal for one partner, and unless that is truly dealt with by the partners, that can be nasty for the children to live with.

A peaceful household is better than an angry one....
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 5:45 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• it is very important. although i applaud the single parents out there, there is no way that a woman can accurately play the role of both mom and dad,and there is no way a father could accurately play the role of dad and mom. a mother and father are both parents true; but they are very different. i think having that a male and a female parent provides a great balance. (if they are good parents of course)
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 5:52 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Yes I do.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:25 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• No.  I think if you have both parents then good for you.  I do know a lot of single mothers out there who are doing a damn good job at raising their children all by themselves though.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 6:35 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I think it's necessary to have female & male influences in every child's life growing up. But, that doesn't necessarily have to come from the parents. There can be many outside influences on a child, whether it be from family friends or relatives. I think that as long as the child has love & support, he/she will grow up fine. But, i do think it's good to get acquainted with loving energy from both sex's at some point growing up, whether it come from a parent, relative or close friend.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:49 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• samurai chica--EXACTLY what I was thinking. That was excellent!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:52 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Yes I think it is important to have both a positive male and female influence, but that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be the biological parents and it doesn't mean it is necessary for the children to survive and be "normal". My niece is being raised by her mother's adoptive mother and biological father (my father too) who do not live together and I think she is doing very well. That doesn't mean that single parents are horrible and don't do good jobs or that children should always see both biological parents as sometimes they aren't the best influence.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:04 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Yes, And I know alot of single fathers who are managing without the woman there, as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Jan. 21, 2011