were tired

My DS is 5 1/2 months. He has made his own schedule during the day and it works but his night time is a mess!! I wanted to find out what works best for him but he is waking up 3 times one night 1 time the next and then 6 times another night. there is no pattern and I cant seem to find a reason. We cover his little gums with teething oil to cover that possibility, we keep him up about 45min after the last feeding to make sure there is no gas/ tummy issues once laid down. Help! Were tired and it's making us crabby and very short tempered without meaning to be at all :(

Nienna7477

Asked by Nienna7477 at 6:44 AM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies sleep on their schedule, not yours. Co-sleep saved me!! I was able to doze/sleep while my daughter nursed.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:04 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• At that age he is sleeping on his own schedule and is NOT going to be sleeping through the night. I nursed my children and coslept because it was so much easier. At that age he still needs to eat in the middle of the night and sometimes they just want mom or dad nearby. I would not be medicating him unless it seems to be helping. Over medicating can cause problems in the long run even the seemingly harmless orajel. This is just part of being a parent sorry. If you are that tired then you need to try and sleep during the day with him.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:55 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• We have tried co sleeping but he is like my dh very high body temp(not fever) but put him in bed with us and he is COVERED in sweat and wont sleep AT ALL! I cosleep during naps if I lay down with him but he will not cosleep with us.
    Nienna7477

Comment by Nienna7477 (original poster) at 8:49 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I cant sleep during the day, never have been, i try but I just lay there and I dont give him orajel. Its a all natural teething oil. I only give it to him at night or when he seems to really have the teething symptoms but it isnt often so trust me when I say I am not over medicating him. I can count on one hand what he has had and how often. Everything is all natural unless he needs something stronger but I do not give it to him lightly.
    Nienna7477

Comment by Nienna7477 (original poster) at 8:52 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Some babies just take longer to sleep through the night!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 11:20 AM on Jan. 21, 2011