Fork or spoon?

Does your DD or DS use a fork or spoon? If so can they use it well or no?

Reason I ask is I babysit during the day and I sit for a set of twins....have been for nearly 4 months....there parents just informed me last night they still feed them like babies.....Now I am asking myself did I let DD have a fork or spoon to early....or am I rushing things.....anyone else still feed there DD or DS themselves?

jdbrown21

Asked by jdbrown21 at 6:57 AM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have a 5 year old, a 3 year old, and a 1 year old and they all have used a spoon by themselves since they were around 1.  I don't give them forks because they tend to poke their mouths with them.  I don't think it's rushing.  My kids wanted to feed themselves.  First we started by letting them use their fingers and then they started showing an interest in eating like we do so it was just kinda natural.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 7:08 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• with every meal, i give all my kids (ages 4, 2, and 1) a spoon or fork, depending on what we're eating and which would be easier. i know my 1 year old is not doing anything with it, nor do i expect her to, she still eats with her fingers. but, she watches how everyone eats and it's a good learning tool for her to be able to have it. she only holds it in one hand and eats with the other, and at times puts it in her mouth empty. my 2 year old, can get a morsel or two on it but she's not an expert either herself yet. the only thing she eats really well with a spoon is yogurt, since it doesn't slide off. but again, whether or not she knows how, i let her practice everytime and occasionally help her out. its never too soon to let them try, as long as you're not pressuring them to be little eating experts yet. my 4 year old obviously feeds herself just fine with utensils.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:19 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Around 1 year old I gave them the spoons to use, but they didn't master it until around 1.5-2 years old. I pretty much just let them play with the spoon at first and didn't expect them to do well with it. Around 3 years old I gave them forks.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:51 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I think it's easier to offer a little one a spoon, since if you hold it upright, it works; a fork is trickier. If they're toddlers, they should be able to learn to use spoons pretty quickly.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:51 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• My son is 2 now, and I rarely feed him (unless he's just asking for bites of something I'm eating). I started out giving him his own spoon to play with and practice with while I fed him most of it, and then as he got older he fed himself more and more. Sometimes I helped him with the last bite or two, because it was hard for him to scrape the bowl. He can use a spoon very well, and uses a fork pretty well too. Forks are harder to learn how to use, especially when they're not sure whether it's easier to use the prongs or scoop different foods. Sometimes he would get frustrated and use his hands for some of it after using the spoon or fork for a while. I can't remember what age he started to mostly feed himself without much help, but it was probably around age 1.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:08 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• My 2 yr old son uses both a fork and a spoon. He uses the spoon when he eats his cereal and a fork for everything else. I started giving him a training spoon when he was around 8 months. He was trying to do himself so I let him. Yes it was messy but he was feeding himself in no time. I did sit with him and feed him too while he was learning because he seemed to get more on his face and clothes than in his mouth. But I agree with pam19, he only gets fed by me if he's asking for a bite of what I have on my plate. I also let him drink from a "big boy cup" with no lid. He gets the sippy cup while were traveling in the car but while he's sitting and eating a meal, hes drinking out of a regluar cup. it was a cute bowl and cup set I got from target. its like a set of 6 all different colors. he even tells me what color he wants to eat from.
    RishawnsMom

Answer by RishawnsMom at 10:12 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• its 50/50
    SimplyErathy

Answer by SimplyErathy at 6:21 PM on Jan. 21, 2011