What are some simple exercises a person can do at home to improve their strength without increasing their pain?

mamahartt

Asked by mamahartt at 8:28 AM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Push ups, lunges, crunches
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 8:35 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• depends on what kind of pain you are talking about? Do you have pain in your back? Kness? Arms? Can't really suggest anything without that information!

WATP (Walk Away The Pounds) with Leslie Sansone is relatively easy, if you can walk in place, do small kicks, lift your knees and do side steps without pain this is a perfect exercise to build up muscle strength. I've lost 50 pounds on this before and i'm using it again doing 3-5 miles everyday with her videos....and i'm down another 11 pounds so far.

If you have a cable provider that has "On Demand" channels there is an exercise on demand channel that's FREE all the time that has many of her workouts. The channels website: www.exercisetv.tv also has a free full length 1 mile and 2 mile workout that is FREE anytime.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:57 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I agree with Mom2Jack04- what kind of pain are we talking about? That makes a big difference!
    I do Jillian Michaels's 30 Day Shred, which I LOVE. It gets a good sweat going! I go for a 30 minute run, then come home and do that. Between the two, it really kicks my butt! If you have a bike or access to a pool, those can be great, too. Find some friends to go walking with, and get a good stroller (if your kids are stroller aged). Buy some hand weights for some weight exercises at home.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:41 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• are you talking about being sore afterwards? That will continue until your body gets used to it
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• i agree, what kind of pain? i walk a lot...
    asil

Answer by asil at 4:58 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Lets face it at the beggining you must start slow have a good posture in your workout aerobics yoga any dvd ,billly blank any, have fun and keep the weekly routine its all in your hands. Add a diet and see you at summer with new clothes. see ya.
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 6:57 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I have multiple disabilities, including arthritis, so chronic pain in all areas, especially joints and back. Did water walking and it was wonderful until I had to stop due to transportation issues. Will try Walk Away the Pounds and some light weights and resistance bands and see how it goes. Thanks for the help
    mamahartt

Comment by mamahartt (original poster) at 7:55 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• You should not feel real pain while exercising, only some resistance or fatigue, but not pain..
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 9:36 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• you can use cans, bottles as weights and do some arm excesices, with a brrom you can put it on the floor and jump back and forth, with the stairs you can do some steps.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 9:44 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Yoga!!! You can build strength and endurance, and find poses that you can do without pain, because there are so many modifications you can do to make certain poses work for you.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2011