I have accidentally bleached my carpet. Is their a dye I can use to bring it back to the color it should be?

sheer_heart

Asked by sheer_heart at 8:37 AM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Home & Garden

• It's possible it can be fixed, but you'll have to decide how good of a job you want...you can potentially buy a dye kit and try to fix it yourself. If you go that route, just know that there is almost zero chance that it will match the color exactly and may still be rather obvious that something is wrong there. Another option is to call a carpet color repair specialist (yes, there is such a thing). A reputable pro will be able to either dye and blend it in a way that makes it far less obvious, or make an alternate suggestion if a color repair is not in your best interest. My best guess on the cost is probably $100-$200 or so, if they're able to do it, but it may vary depending on the size of the spots and where you're located. It would be worth it since the carpet is only a year old, IF they can guarantee the quality of the job.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:01 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Your success will depend on what caused the bleaching (was it straight bleach, or a household cleaner with bleach in it?), the color, fiber type, and condition of the carpet, the size of the spots, and how exact you need the results to be.
    Do you have more info?
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:46 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• If you're unable to recolor the spots, is the damage in a location that you can place an area rug or runner over it?
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:33 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• It was bleach for the washer and the pattern of the bleach spot is like a splatter, the carpet is a year old and I am not sure what the fiber is. Here is what happen I removed all household cleaning products from under my kitchen sink. Place them in a bin that had ventilation whole in it. At the time I didn't know about the wholes in the container. The bleach got knocked over but by the time I found it my carpet was bleached in two very large spots. If the sink was not leaking I wouldn't have moved the cleaning products and all would have been okay. Anyway that's what happen and I was hoping to be able to fix it. 

sheer_heart

Comment by sheer_heart (original poster) at 8:53 AM on Jan. 21, 2011