what can typical three and a half yr olds do...having goal IEP meeting today

my daughter in special ed, redoing the IEP goals today
have gotten so good at letting her progress at her own level
i have no idea what "normal" three and a half year olds can do
also what should she be able to do before going into 4K
thanks

(i am aiming for therapies to continue through summer months-i hear uphill battle)
she is 3.5, one of youngest for her grade, has been put into moderate autism range, not potty trained, speech at least one year behide (last tested was 19 months at three years old) tantrum better, eye contact much better

be kind, been a while since i let myself compare, but need to know for this meeting, to give reasons for continued therapy through summer

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 8:49 AM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sorry I keep posting...I keep thinking of other things...lol

My dd has always had a hard time answering a simple question....like (where did we go today) a 3.5 year old should be able to answer questions about their day....

Also my dd has issues with body awareness...she is "floppy" so to speak....she would kick or hit another child just not realizing what she was doing. Her teachers have been working alot on this issue....she has gotten better!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:20 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I just wanted to give you some encouragement for your IEP meeting - I remember how stressful they used to be when my son was younger, trying to fight for everything he needed (he's 13 now). I don't remember what my 9 and 10 year olds were doing when they were 3, and my youngest two aren't there yet so I can't help you out with your actual question, but kudos to you for preparing yourself well for your meeting. I hope you get exactly what you want and your daughter needs!

Answer by missanc at 8:53 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• My daughter is able to count to 20, she says here abc's, she knows all of her colors, she is learning to spell small words, and can speak some spanish (thanks to dora) but don't compare :) every child is different. My 4 almost 5 year old neice can't do as much as my daughter. She had luekemia and the chemo has pushed her back quite a bit. I am sure your daughter is doing great and will continue to do great :) she will get there mama :)
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 8:56 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• My dd is 5.5 and has mild aspergers :) i have a typical 7 year old son though and it was tough comparing them....especially since my son is beyond typical...he is VERY verbal and mature for his age.

I can tell you what I know my dd was lacking at that age....if that helps. She had trouble following directions....(Maddie take this book and put it on the table) she has gotten better at this...but still not on age level.

My dd also didnt speak age appropriate...still doesnt...but she will soon :)

My dd never really played WITH other kids....was aloof.

She also had no fear....no fear of strangers, animals, water, being separated from me.....nothing. That has gotten a bit better as well....at 3.5 they should recognize a dangerous situation....to an extent....they should know to be fearful of strangers or maybe a huge dog or a loud fast car.....not my dd...

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:58 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• And also, I dont know if your dd is like this....academically my dd is on a 10 year old level. I believe she may have some savant skills......but her issues are behavior.....

So while their are things I wish she did better....she also has skills that make other peoples mouths hang open...lol.

she is a very interesting little girl :0 to say the least .... :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:00 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I will do :) sorry I couldn't have been much more help. Good luck today!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 9:06 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Yes my dd doesnt avoid either....if there is another "pushy" child around who sort of tells her what to do, it works great...but if the child is typical or shy...my dd will ignore them.

Another one my dd does that bothers me is ignoring when she is spoken too. Of course, she doesnt mean if to be rude....I dont even care about her being"rude" its just that I dont want people who speak to her to think "uhhh why is this little girl not even looking at me"

most kids would at least smile or act shy....at the very least....my dd just acts as if nothing is said at all....I speak for her a lot..I try to prompt her as well....(Maddie, she loves your hairbow) and then she might say "thank you" or yes
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:07 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Oh another HUGE issue for my dd is her ability to focus and sit for ANY length of time.....compared to other kids her age.

At 3.5 that was one of our biggest issuses. If given a color sheet she might make one mark on it and get up to find a toy.....to get her to complete a simple coloring task took a lot of effort....she has gotten much better at this one though thankfully!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:08 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• i know she will get there-thanks
    but need to be able to compare for Goal IEP

been so long since i did any comparing, need info for meeting
    she is beautiful the way she is, but school has budget, and have to fight for servces, loudest bitchiest parent gets more services for child, need to be able to compare today (all other days i do not compare) will be strange to be in that mind set today, will try to put it aside after meeting=may need support for that after meeting, look for my questions.comments after IEP goal meeting-lol
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 9:01 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• speech-obvious for my daughter

lack of fear-good one, take this for granted, she is sensory seeking and has no fear of anything
    thanks=this one helps

play with other kids-also good, not avoiding, but plays next to not with
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 9:03 AM on Jan. 21, 2011