wind chills - what would you do?

My dad and sis already told me they would keep 'em home, now I'd like to hear what other moms opinions. Here is the situation:
it is -9 out and wind chills are -20. The schools are still open and my kids have a 1/2 day today. Which means that my 2 kids will be getting out of school at noon at 2 different schools. (both would be out in the cold walking to the pickup area, and 1 would have to wait 15 min for me to pick up the other). I felt that since it was a 1/2 day and with such bad weather it is best to keep my kids home and call them in absent.
What would you have done-- sent them to school and expose them to the bitter cold, or keep them home.

MizLee

Asked by MizLee at 8:49 AM on Jan. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• i think you are not only parent who kept home today
    wind chill advisory here today also
    would not let my daughter go out yesterday and will not be going out today'
    dangerous to be out for 15 minutes no matter what they are wearing

keep em warm and safe
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:52 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I would probably keep them home.

sheer_heart

Answer by sheer_heart at 8:58 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• only because it is a half day i say keep them home
    pennycandy

Answer by pennycandy at 9:01 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Send them to school. Hats and gloves will cover them and they will be fine on a short wait.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 9:39 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Depends....if i was staying in myself, then we would have had movies and junk and stayed in. Sometimes it is sooo not worth the hassle of getting kids out the door only to have to pick them up a few hours later!!!
    2boyz2pray4

Answer by 2boyz2pray4 at 11:53 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Can't they just wait for you inside the school?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:52 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• mompam-- no with the way the schools are situated they would not be able to see me from the school. The high school is on a busy road and there is no parking allowed- and the middle school is at the edge of town on a 1 way street. For each child I did give them a 'landmark' to go to and that is the "pick up spot".

Fiatpax-- Thanks!! I was watching the news this morning and I was very surprised that there were not many schools closed in the state! Some had 2hr delay but very few closed. I just think it is BS that the schools are not closing.
    MizLee

Comment by MizLee (original poster) at 9:07 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I would send them to school as long as they had appropriate cold weather gear.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:36 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• We kept our son home today too. He isn't going to miss much today at school anyway. Stay warm and have a good weekend!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 9:38 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Winter happens. Bundle them up with layers.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:41 AM on Jan. 21, 2011