How to get my 9 month to go to bed by herself... Without me breastfeeding her?

Yes I have a 9 month little girl. I breastfeed and just started to feed formula. I am having trouble get her to go to bed on her on. She is so used to me breastfeeding her for bed time and fights the bottle. I am a new mom and don't know what to do. She is still sleeping w/ me so I can feed her if she does wake up. I know I should not but I have the promble just as much as she does. We have never and I mean never been apart. Which makes it hard for us both. I am just afraid nobody else will know what to do like I do. Please Help!!!! I want to change things is it tooo late.

camers

Asked by camers at 6:12 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the No Cry Sleep Solution book has good suggestions for how to break children from "sucking to sleep."
    AliMom714

Answer by AliMom714 at 6:19 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I have a 16 month old. About ten minutes before bed time, I go hide in the bathroom. Then DH takes her into our room (she still sleeps with us and I love it) and puts her to sleep. If she sees me, its all over. But there is no problem if she doesn't.

During the day, when DH is not around, I take DD for walks or car rides. I wont do this forever, just until she weens herself.

It is working pretty well. We usually only nurse twice a day. Sometimes just in the morning. But there are those times she insists in the afternoon.

jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 6:21 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• How long ago did you start her on taking a bottle? Maybe it's too soon for it to soothe her to sleep the way you do. Make sure she's good and used to it first!

I try to fill my guy up (from the breast) before he goes to sleep, but he doesn't usually go to sleep and stay asleep at that time. We snuggle and play quietly with him until he gets fussy, then we lay him in his bed to go to sleep. He usually makes a little noise (not really crying, though) and then gives in and goes to sleep. We oftentimes turn on the vibrate and womb sounds and then he's out like a light for the night!

My son is only ten weeks old, though...so maybe it won't work when he gets older! Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 7:09 PM on Nov. 13, 2008