If I go to a counselor or doctor and speak to them about my depression, anxiety and temper issues... do I stand a chance of losing my kids? adult content

I don't ever, EVER hurt my kids. But I do tend to yell at them and get easily frustrated with them. I feel like such a piece of shit parent about it too. I was physically and mentally abused as a child and still suffer from it. I always apologize to them afterwards as well.

I have such bad depression that I just go into the bathroom at night sometime or livingroom, leave all the lights off and cry and cry and cry. I could just about die for all I care. If it weren't for my kids.... there is NO CHANCE I would still be around. But I do everything in my power to hide my depression from my children.

My anxiety makes it hard to work and go to the grocery store sometimes. I then tend to get aggrivated and start to get tempermental before we can make it half way through the store.

I so badly want to speak to someone about it and get something to help me even if it is a prescription.... I'd rather take a medication then ruin my children's lives with my stupid issues.

But, if I go and tell a doctor or therapist this.... could I stand a chnce of them calling DFCS on me, opening a case t otry and take my kids from me or having them on my back all the time because they'll think I'll hurt my kids or something?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Health

• You poor thing, no honey you will not loose your kids for trying to help yourself. When you have anxiety/depression you do yell more you do cry more thats part of it and thats normal. I think (if you are willing) you really need to be put on medication-believe me from my own experience it can make you feel like a whole new person. It will help you to help yourself cope and believe me you willo not yell as much! I know you feel all alone but your not alone there are many of us in the same boat! You will feel so much better just by talking with someone and getting stuff off your chest.
    But like I said if you do need meds try them they reallly can help. Being a mom is not always easy plus we have a ton of other stress to deal with. you can pm me if you want to talk more. Hang in there you will be fine, You already took the first step! Good luck!
    21lisa72

Answer by 21lisa72 at 9:39 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• NOT AT ALL! if your kids are happy, healthy, and taken care of, and not left to fend for themselves, and the living conditions are good. there is no reason for them to take your kids. you are trying to help yourself be a "better" person, and they can't frown upon that.
    unless they think you are a danger to yourself or your kids, you have nothing to worry about, and it doesn't sound like you are. so don't worry, go get some help! good luck!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 9:04 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Your medical records can't be used against you, in fact, it's illegal for any health care provider to release any of your information to anyone unless you consent to it and sign a document permitting the information to be released. The penalties for health care workers who violate your rights in this way are subject to steep fines (anywhere up to $250,000) and jail time (up to 10 years in prison). Get the help you need.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:15 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• The only way a therapist would call the authorities is if he/she believed that your children were in eminent danger of being harmed. There is no shame in getting the help you need - if anything, it shows that you love your children and yourself enough to get help before the situation spirals out of control. Please, go talk to someone.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:19 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Don't worry about that. I actually just went last month to get a script for an antidepressant and had my youngest child with me. As long as the children as safe, happy and healthy you have nothing to worry about. But you do need help so please get it.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:22 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I am so glad to hear that you are acknowledging the problem and want to seek help for it. Things that will get your kids taken away. Not admitting there is a problem and a neighbor calling CPS on you. Not being able to get the kids to school b/c of being so depressed. The second one was my big issue when my kids dad went to jail for dv. It took everything I had to get up in the am. I did get on meds for it and it helped a lot. My ex also took me back to court once he got out of jail and accused me of being an unfit parent. As long as you are in counseling, as long as the kids needs are being met and you are trying, there isnt a thing the judge will do. I am proud of you for wanting to get help for it, instead of hiding behind it and the situation only getting worse. As the others have said, all the info you give to counselor is kept confidiental. I wish you so much luck with this hon

beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 9:25 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Absolutley not! menatl illness runs in my family and i have my own mental health issues but as long as u dont do anything to hurt yourself or your children there is no reason they would take your children away from you.. Its ok to get help and its ok to be on medication as long as u find the right medication for you its usually trial and error.. atleast with me it was but once u find the right dr and the right medication you should feel alot better and feel like your old self again! Hang in there hun! :)
    knm51504

Answer by knm51504 at 9:08 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• No. A Dr. or Therapist can not tell ANYONE any of your mdeical issues unless you plan on harming someone. If you see a therapist, they will explain all of this to you in detail on your initial visit. The truth is that as the patient, your doctor and therapist are mostly concerned about your well-being only and they know that trying to take your kids away or getting you in trouble would NOT be helpful to you at all. No worries, are you safe to seek help. I hope you start feeling better soon.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:17 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• No. I have anxiety and take meds for it....it makes me handle daily SAHM and life better.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:25 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• No, they cannot share that information unless they feel someone's life is in jeopardy. Go seek help. You will all be better off if you do.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 9:37 AM on Jan. 21, 2011