when to take son to doctor?

My son is 2.5 and has been having a clear runny nose and cough for about 4 days...the mucus has now turned green/gray - even though he is acting normal...he doesn't seem unhappy and he is eating normally, I am wondering if I should take him to the doctor? Could this be a sinus infection? We pay out of pocket for half of our insurance and if it's just something they are going to send me home and say there isn't anything they can do , I may not go. But as a first time mom I am hoping for some advice. Is is necessary to take toodlers to doctor each time they have a runny nose/green mucus? He attends pre-school so it seems as if he always has a little runny nose!
Thanks!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Kids' Health

• No,it was clear before because his sinuses were producing so much. Now that its slowed down,its showing the dust and particles that he inhaled aka,regular boogies!
    If he's not running a fever,he's fine

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:22 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Colds will often begin with a clear nasal discharge, but after several days it usually turns creamy yellow or green. Colds are caused by viruses, and antibiotics will not help. A green or yellow nasal discharge is not a sign that you need antibiotics.

If he develops a fever or the symptoms last for more than 10 days, take him to the doctor.

In the meantime, make sure he drinks plenty of fluids and use a humidifier in his room. You can also use over the counter saline nasal sprays to help clear the drainage.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 9:26 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Clear mucus indicates allergies. Yellow indicates a cold and green indicates an infection. He obviously has developed some sort of an upper respiratory infection. Take him to the doctor.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 9:27 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Call the doctor's office and ask. I felt that the color in the mucus meant infection, but I've heard lately that it doesn't necessarily.

Answer by Bmat at 9:38 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• thanks so much for all the info!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:15 PM on Jan. 21, 2011