Looking for some new "healthier" soup recipies!!

Please give me name and recipie if possible. Thank you soo much!!

Also and crock pot ideas!!

mommyofone15

Asked by mommyofone15 at 10:02 AM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Here is a huge tip for you. When making any meat soup, cook the meat the night before in a pot of water. I usually do this with beef & whole chicken. Cook them until it's done, take the meat out & put it in a container in the fridge. Take the broth made from the meat & have it sit in the fridge over night. The fat from the meat will rise to the top of the broth & harden & you can literally, pick the fat right off. It comes off very clean & leaves no fat left in the broth.

After i do this, i throw the veggies in the broth with the cooked meat & let simmer until done. SUPER easy way to take all of the fat right out of your soup.

You can take just about any soup recipe & do this first before continuing to make the soup with the rest of the ingredients. The meat is the fattiest part of most soups (unless it's a creamy soup), so after this is done...you're good to go.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:10 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Fairly healthy soups are simple to make. Sear the meat in a pot with just a little bit of vegetable oil (just enough to grease the bottom of the pan. Cooking spray works too.) Add onions, mushrooms, celery, whatever you want for veggies except carrots or potatoes. Add a cup of water. Boil down to just enough water to keep stuff from burning on the bottom of the pan, then add more water. I usually add about a quart of water and add potatoes and carrots. If there isn't enough water to cover the tops of everything, I add more and boil again until I decide it smells good. Occasionally I'll add a dash of sea sat and some black pepper. Seasoning to taste. If the flavor of the broth isn't strong enough, I do add bouillon cubes, but if I can avoid it, I try to because they're not really healthy. This method of cooking soup can be done in an hour, and most if it is letting the stuff boil down. Cook until potatoes are soft. Yum!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 10:17 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I just call it veggie beef soup, but I use about half a bottle of low-sodium tomato or veggie juice, cooked meat (hamburger, roast, whatever), and whatever veggies I have - frozen mixed, or fresh diced (carrots, onions, potatoes, corn/peas/green beans later on so they don't get mushy), some fresh herbs & black pepper, some water, and throw it all in the crock pot or simmer on the stove til the veggies are as done as I want them. Sometimes, especially if there are no potatoes, I'll add some cooked whole wheat pasta or brown rice, or I'll add uncooked barley when it's about done.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Here is a recipe for my beef & cabbage soup that is incredibly yummy & healthy

1 lg head of cabbage
    1 pot roast (about 3-4 lbs is good) (you can use any cut of meat for this really)
    1 lg can chopped tomatoes
    1-2 can tomato paste (the larger one). If you like it more tomato-ish, throw another can in
    1 bag frozen carrots
    5 cloves garlic
    tsp oregano
    tsp paprika
    salt & pepper to taste
    beef consomme, or bouillon cubes to taste

slowly simmer meat in pot of water for 2-3 hours or until super tender. Take meat out & cut into chunks, or chop it up, put it in closed container & stick in fridge. Put meat broth in fridge over night, next day picking fat from top. Chop up the whole head of cabbage, throw in broth, add enough water to cover & cook for 1/2 hour. Then add the rest of ingredients & let cook until it's all done, about an hour. This freezes well too & is very low fat & super tasty.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:19 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I also make a simple soup out of a can of green beans, and some milk or evaporated milk. Just cook the green beans until they're hot, then add milk(One can of evap milk, or equivalent of milk) , salt and pepper. I usually add a tbsp of butter, but it's not necessary.

Cream of mushroom soup, thinned down with milk (you can use low-fat milk) with green beans, broccoli or celery added is pretty easy..not sure how healthy it is though.

BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 10:20 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• This lentil soup is a major people pleaser! I use a 6-quart crock pot.

Rinse and drain 4 cups lentils (I use several different varieties together: red, yellow, green, brown). Throw in 1/3 c. quinoa. Finely chop 1 large onion, 6 cloves of garlic, and 4 large carrots. Add all to crock. Add 2 cans of tomatoes with the juice (I puree before adding to the crock). Throw on a dash of cayenne, 2 tsp. oregano, 2 tsp. basil, and a generous splash of lemon juice. Add 6-10 cups vegetable or chicken stock. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Add 4-6 cups sliced (shredded) baby spinach. Cook additional 5 minutes. Add sea salt and white pepper to taste. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar to serve (we use pomegranate-infused balsamic). Serve with tasty whole grain bread.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:37 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Oops. I forgot to mention the 2 Bay leaves. Add those with the other spices.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:39 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I made veggie chili, chicken noodle, escarole and beans, white bean chicken chili and split pea. All very healthy and delicious. I also just made a vegetable cabbage soup that is supposedly good for dieting...its only 1 weight watchers points plus per serving. It needs a little hot sauce, but its pretty good. The white bean chili, split pea and cabbage soup recipes are on allrecipes.com.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:57 AM on Jan. 21, 2011