Pay-Per-Mile Driving Tax Wins Support of House Transportation Chairman

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

The idea of a pay-per-mile federal driving tax appears to be gaining ground, despite White House opposition. Without a groundswell of public outrage to tamp it down it could spread through Congress quicker than an outbreak of swine flu.

The chairman of the House Transportation Committee, where a bill to impose such a tariff would ultimately be considered, said this week he thinks Congress needs to quit studying and start acting on a proposal to charge us for every mile we drive.
How can anyone fall for this B.S.? read more here:
http://blogs.edmunds.com/greencaradvisor/2009/04/pay-per-mile-driving-tax-wins-support-of-house-transportation-chairman.html

gammie

Asked by gammie at 10:11 AM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• How would they monitor that?! Would annual state inspections keep track of your year to year mileage and charge you an extra "lump sum surcharge" to the cost of your inspection every year?!

Why not just add it into the cost of fuel at the pump--since some states already tack on 50 cents per gallon extra in the reflected prices?!

What about employees whose JOB REQUIRES travel to meet with clients?! Will there be "waivers" or "credits" given for them?

What about rural states, and states like California, where you HAVE to drive long distances to get to/from work?

Is Congress REALLY trying to make us all permanently "home bound?"
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:18 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I don't see this gaining much traction - there are already federal taxes being paid for gasoline. I can't see our politicians voting for something like this regardless of their party, they want to be re-elected!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:20 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Got to love these progressives.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:45 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I thought this was only going to affect toll roads and anyone in the transportation industry.

tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 10:15 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

•  

This blog was written back in 2009 and so there is probably a new House Transportation chairman now. I can't see Republicans in favor of a tax like this.

The White House isn't either

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:44 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Sorry, but I think not
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:46 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Pbthhh ~ I've always wanted one of those Amish buggies lol ...
    I prefer horseback riding to driving a vehicle ...
    I don't need insurance for a horse OR a buggy ...
    I can grow hay ... unlike gasoline ...

Whether it's still under consideration or not, I already drive less than 50 miles per month; but I'd still use the horse just to make their heads pop a little lol.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:26 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• A per mile tax would put us in the poor house super quick as we drive about 40 miles a day just getting our kids to and from school. Then there's the grocery store, their martial arts classes and any number of other things that require driving as we are very rural. Wonder how that would affect school buses with the schools already short of funds for education.

The scary things is that if they're really serious about it, it would probably never go up for a public vote, it would just be passed and we'd all be stuck with it.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 12:44 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Yes they do want us home bound, it is easier to control that way!
    gammie

Comment by gammie (original poster) at 10:20 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• All this is about control it has not a dam thing to do with green!

gammie

Comment by gammie (original poster) at 10:23 AM on Jan. 21, 2011