Stepchildren.....

Do You have any and do you get along with them?

HappyGirl44

Asked by HappyGirl44 at 10:14 AM on Jan. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• I am a stay mom of three my step daughter tesha is the oldest, she is 15, izzy is 14 and cearci is 13. At first it was hard cause i was young and had never been a mom before but now things are really good. and i learned one thing dont take out things on the kids because you hate the bio mom that is not fair to them. I was also a step child my self and my step dad treated us all the same.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:12 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I don't have any stepchildren.. but my SO isn't the father to my oldest girls ( aged 6 &3).. They get along great and he is amazing with them♥

SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:16 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• no but i was a stepchild and my step mom treated me awful. at age 18 i "ran" away and never looked back. Just a few years ago i finally started talking to my dad, but NOT my stepmom.
    mistik75

Answer by mistik75 at 10:17 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I have two. It can be a struggle sometimes, their mother hates me. Generally speaking though we enjoy each other's company.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:25 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I do have one step son, its the hardest job in the world.
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 10:26 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I have been a step mom for 17 years. I learned over the years with the dynamics of the whole situation it is easier to just back off and let her parents deal with her. When I tried to be a part of her discipline my husband would get very defensive due to the guilt he had and he handled her much better if I just stayed on the side line offering unbiased advice. This is easier said then done and now that she is 20 we still have our bad moments but they are mostly good at this point.

I hope that helps a little.
    mepperly07

Answer by mepperly07 at 10:28 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I have one, and yes we get along just fine!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 11:17 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Yes, its been a nightmare, and hard on the other kids too. She steals from them, is mean to them, is way older and acts worse than my three year old. But I love her like one of my own and try not to treat her differently. Agree with voni681 its the hardest job in the world!
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 11:49 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I have a step-son and I absolutely adore him. I have been in his life since he was 10 and he will be 20 in a few weeks. I refer to him as my son more often than I refer to him as my step-son.
    KatyTxMamma

Answer by KatyTxMamma at 12:50 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I get along with all six of my stepchildren. It wasn't always easy but we are happy to be together now.
    My husband is stepfather to my three kids and they love him like their own dad.
    Thanks for sharing. I was wondering how is is for others :-)
    HappyGirl44

Comment by HappyGirl44 (original poster) at 1:18 PM on Jan. 21, 2011