anyone use quinoa? like it, good for you? don't know much about it>

laur1963

Asked by laur1963 at 10:26 AM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I have never used it but for some recipes with it check out allrecipes.com
    pennycandy

Answer by pennycandy at 10:29 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I use it pretty much every day. I slip 1/3 c. into my bread dough. We use it instead of rice sometimes. I put it in soups and casseroles for an extra nutritional punch. I put just a spoonful into oatmeal. It is pretty good and very diverse.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:30 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• It's very nuitritious, but my family doesn't care for it, maybe I have to try misses_nick's ideas.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:36 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I made a highly rated Quinoa recipe from allrecipes with black beans and corn, etc... it was.....edible. But it was not good enough to save the leftovers. I still have some left in the box, so I'll try it one more time a new way, but eh.... And I was excited to try something new and healthy and I was very open to it, but sadly it was not very good. I like the seocnd poster's idea of sprinkling it in other things, soup in particular, to get the health benefits but not have to eat it straight up. I do that with wheat germ on salads, in yogurt, etc....maybe I'll try that with Quinoa for other things.... GL!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:54 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• We love quinoa. I toast it and then add water according to the directions. We will eat it plain or make it into taboule (which is traditionally made with bulgar) mint, tomatoes, cucumbers, lemon juice.

I often eat the left over plain quinoa in the morning like a hot cereal - I reheat, add milk, cinnamon and dried fruit.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:33 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I mix it in with rice, soups and stews and anything hot cereal related. Very nutritious and when mixed in with other things, hardly detectable to those picky eaters.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 11:52 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• We love quinoa here. It is one of the most nutritionally dense foods you can eat and very versatile. Our favorite way to eat it is when I make stuffed cabbage rolls or porcupine balls. I use the quinoa in place of the rice. Quinoa also make a very good pudding, similar to rice pudding.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:11 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I tried quiona about 6 months ago and fell in love with it! I eat it every day in place of rice. I even mix it with greek yogurt.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 12:12 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Quinoa is very nutritionally dense and contains a lot of amino acids. It's high in protein for a "grain", although it's not technically a grain, it's a seed.
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/10352/2

Cooked plain, the texture is a tad... odd. Kind of like fish eggs. It takes some adjustment. Cooked, the taste alone is kind of bland, but as others said, you can dress it up, swap it and add it to other recipes. Eaten dry, it's a dry taste, rather like eating dry oatmeal.

If you want to try it and not invest a lot of time and money, get a Kashi bar. They use dry quinoa in them.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:19 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I found this recipe for Quinoa and Black Bean Salad and *I* can't wait to try it!

http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen-blog/2011/01/step-by-step-red-quinoa-and-black-bean-salad/

geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:32 PM on Jan. 21, 2011