Tax Status Questions

Hey ladies,
My husband and I are seperated but not divorced. We were seperated for most of the year but not on June 1st and he did not live with me. He did not work or pay child support in any way and I wanted to know if I could claim Head of Household status or should I just do married filing seperately? I've heard you get more from HOH so I was just curious.

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Money & Work

• You should talk to a tax advisor, or call the IRS and ask. Their website, irs.gov, also has a good Q&A section that may be able to help. You don't want to file HOH and then get in trouble!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:39 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Look up the definition of HOH and see if you qualify.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 11:26 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Check with the IRS website to be sure. But you probably can't file as head of household until the divorce is file.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:28 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Call the IRS: Telephone Assistance for Individuals:
    Toll-Free, 1-800-829-1040
    Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

Answer by rkoloms at 11:43 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I agree with the other posters. You'll have to look it up and see if you qualify. If you do then make sure that filing as HOH gets you the lowest tax liability.

Good luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 8:43 PM on Jan. 21, 2011