Is this rude?

How do you handle people making faces at your child when you're out somewhere? We were in the middle of dinner and the woman behind us starting making faces and playing with him. Needless to say, dinner was forgotten. I told her that he needed to concentrate on eating and I got the NASTIEST look. It took all I had not to pop her in the face! Don't I have the right to decide whether or not other people play with my kids?

angiemgiu

Asked by angiemgiu at 6:33 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in General Parenting

• It can be annoying sometimes! I remember that! But we gotta realize that those people didn't mean any harm. I would say something outloud directing it at my child, but loud enough for the person to hear-because its really for those people "cmon now sweetheart you HAVE to eat your food now"
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 6:35 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I don't understand why personal space doesn't apply to pregnant women or babies. Just last night we were in the hospital visiting my dad after his surgery and this woman tried to pick my daughter up out of her stroller. What the hell is that? My husband said something that was probably a little extreme, but she left us alone after that.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:42 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• lighten up ... these people aren't intentionally trying to screw with you. They might just happen to think your baby is too stinking adorable to ignore..

As far as going to far as to try to pick up your child or touch a preggo belly... Good gravy that seems rather invading...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 7:30 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I think people interacting with my children is WAY better than them being annoyed by them just being kids and giving rude disapproving looks, or ignoring my child altogether like they are not a person.

When I am out with my partner without the kids and someone's kids bumps the back of my seat or does something annoying they look so sorry and apologize for them - it's nice to reassure them that I understand because I have kids too.
    sim_sun

Answer by sim_sun at 8:10 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I understand, but if your kid was really hungry, he would have finished eating after the play. I had a guy come pat my daughter on the head. It was weird, but I just smiled and told her to say hi. I figured, by his age he probably had grandkids she reminded him of. maybe he doens't get to seem the often and a simple pat on the head isn't goign to hurt her and it made him happy so it's all good.
    Anonymous

• Its been two years since my son was born and we still get that. At times it is inconvienent and not very cute. But I would rather them pay compliments and play peek-a-boo than have nasty comments to say. It could be worse. In our case we have had managers and wait staff try to walk off with our son. Everyone still wants to hold him. Now that is annoying. Once during dinner the entire staff at a restaurant came over to our table to wave and say hi - they stayed almost our whole meal. Then we were at I HOP and the manager came out to talk to us for 45 minutes about kids, how cute our son was, and kept insisting he send us samples of items that were not on the menue until next week. It was odd.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:10 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I agree with simsum, just the other day I was shopping with my 3 kids and my 3 yr old decided to throw a huge fit (which he hadnt done b4) and some lady looked at him and said "god I dont wanna here it" Oh boy did I want to pop her too. So I would have directed it towards my kid too, like april1 said, because I have done it before.
    Oh by the way my son got taken out to the car with his dad to not the PRIVALAGE of shopping with mommy, he was crushed he he he he
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 9:18 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Lord, is it offensive or an invaison of personal space to smile at a child too? I can understand not wanting a stranger to just come and scoop up your baby but all this crap about not touching, looking at and talking to babies is ridiculous. Why don't people like that just leave their kids home, then they won't have to worry about whatever the hell it is they are worried about.
    Anonymous

• I agree with mamakira. He wasn't going to starve. She was being friendly that is all. Try to see the other side of things and lighten up. Picking them up or touching them is different of course but she wasn't trying to cause harm. Next time make eye contact and say hi how are you. She will stop with the baby faces and say your baby is so cute. Say thank you smile and carry on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:02 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I thought your comment was rude to the lady.....the last poster at 4:02AM had a really good and polite idea. I see more brats in restaraunts than sweet kids but the sweet kids we might wave at them or smile at them....nothing extreme. I would be totally taken back if you were to respond to me that way because I was being nice to your kid. I guarantee you'd be complaining if it was the other way around and your kid was causing the "disruption" and the lady said, Ma'am, I really need to eat my food so could you shut your kid up?" It works both ways.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Nov. 14, 2008