When your kids get older....

is it easier or harder on you?
Some people tell me that it's so much easier, you have so much time for yourself,
Others tell me it just gets harder, more problems, more money, more time spent on them.
Just curious, maybe everyone is different.

Rachel24517

Asked by Rachel24517 at 10:45 AM on Jan. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• You know it depends. Personally, I like having older kids...you couldn't pay me to take care of toddlers or younger elementry school aged kids. So i guess for me, it's easier. BUT I find that I am more on the Go with older kids. But my kids are 17 and 11 and I have so much fun with them now.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:48 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• It's both. They don't need you to get them drinks every ten mins any more and won't dump them in the carpet, BUT, you have to start worrying about WHAT they could be drinking and with who... So physically, it's easier. But it comes with an all new set of worries and "hardships."

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:49 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Depends on the kids and mom. I think a lot of it stems from how you raise your kids. I have teens and they know what is expected and what their responsibilites are in this house and outside of it. Some ot it is just engrained at this point,,,lol, But, it really is important that you keep on them and get them there so they will be able to stand on their own two feet. It does make things a whole lot easier when they get older
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:50 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I, personally, am trying not to focus on all of that and just to enjoy them where they are. I know they won't be around forever and then I will miss them, and that is the hardest thing for me about them getting older.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:51 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• it depends...i have a 13yo and a 1yo both take lots of time!!!!
    jlap

Answer by jlap at 11:13 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Definitely both.Harder, more money yes, because they get pickier about their clothes (I put my foot down but still...), stuff for school, other needs. Easier, they're more independant, can do things on their own (read, get drinks of water, help selves to snacks, etc). Definitley upsides & downsides to all ages.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• All ages and stages are fun fun but come with their own set of challenges! Older kids are definately harder in some ways because you do have so much to teach them about life and how to be a good responsible adult, and there is so much to do with school/sports ect, But younger kids are exhausting (sleep? WhaT THE HELL IS THAT?) and have tantrums and for me its harder to discipline a cute little two year old! They are fun at every age though, just enjoy mama and don't worry about what anyone says!
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 11:46 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Easier in many ways; harder in other ways. I personally thought the baby/toddler years were a no-brainer (my kids ate well, slept well, had easy going dispositions, etc.). It was a bit tedious at times but I loved it. My kids are now 16 and 11 and I think it's pretty easy going BUT you still have to stay on top of things because the issues are bigger. Having said that, like beyondhopes states above, a lot of your teachings/expectations/boundaries should be so engrained in them at this point that things transition fairly smoothly from year to year. The focus changes from doing it all for them to getting them to do it for themselves in an effort to prepare them for the real world. Whatever age, enjoy the ride!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I have the perfect explanation from another mom, just from yesterday! She has 20, 16 and 15 year olds...she said it is physically harder at the young ages. There is a lot of chasing around, etc... But it is mentally harder at the older stages. For example handing the keys to the family car to your 17 year old...or putting your 18 year old on a plane for the first time alone with a friend to go look at a college a few towns away. That was the best I've heard, crystal clear, isn't it?
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:53 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I try to enjoy mine at all ages because it will only happen once with each of them.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 4:18 PM on Jan. 21, 2011