How do you get rid of toys?

My girls have been collecting toys over the last four years( okay, so they are only four) and refuse to get rid of any of their toys.
I have tried reasoning with them- telling them they have outgrown the "baby" toys and we should give them to babies that don't have any toys.
I have tried threatening them- If they don't keep the toys picked up they will go to kids who will take care of them.
I do not want to just go through the toys and get rid of them without them knowing, so how should I do it?

pennycandy

Asked by pennycandy at 11:12 AM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I've told my children that there are lots of children that don't have toys, and how wonderful it would be to give away the things they really don't play with anymore. We go through their toys together, and pick out the things that they are too old for, don't play with, etc. It makes them feel good when we take the bag to the Salvation Army or the Family Shelter.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:16 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Honestly, I'd just go through them when the kids aren't home. toys that they have outgrown (toys generally labeled for infants and toddlers) can be donated to goodwill or salvation army. Of course, I say this, but I've boxed up a dozen or so of my 3yo DS's toys a handful of times, and he keeps finding the boxes before I have a chance to take them somewhere.. they wind up right back in his room. But he has a little brother on the way now so I might as well keep them.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:15 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I simply take the toys they haven't played with in a while and put them in the attic. If they are there a week or more with out the kids knowing they are gone, I donate them. But I always place them in the attic for at least a week simply incase it is a toy they will miss, I don't want to toss anything they actually play with.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:15 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• i do it while my 4 year old is at school. but not because she doesn't want to - just because its really the only opportunity that i have time. i get rid of things that i know will not be missed. infact i filled 2 garbage bags full two days ago without her knowledge and she has not asked for anything i put in there.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:17 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I agree with Scuba. Tell them their are other kids out there that don't have any toys. Tell them to pick out, how ever many you want to get rid of. That will also hopefully get them used to sharing and giving to others in need.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:20 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• i went through all my 3 year olds toys with him - he didn't have a choice, I said We are giving some of the toys you don't play with to kids who don't have any toys.. we talked about why and what he has and how lucky HE is and now we are sharing that feeling etc.. then we went through everything.. he only ended up keeping 3 things and I got rid of 2 garbage bags full of toys.. this is the time to really instil teaching of sharing and helping others.. good luck
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:27 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• i'd love to know some suggestions too!
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 11:13 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I would take them to a hospital where there are children in need and I would tell them that these children are in bigger need than them and we can give some of their toys for the hospital. OR take them to the church and make the pastor talk to them about donating some of their toys for the church.

If you don't want to talk with churches or hospitals than you can tell to your children that you have a new policy about the toys. They have more than enough and you can't store them anywhere anymore. So if they want to have a new one than they have to give one of theirs instead of it. So one comes one goes.

More evil way: take the toys with you to the restaurant or wherever you go and accidentally loose it. They will cry for a day. And they will ask for another one.

I probably would use any of the first three. We do donate things for the church:)

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 11:21 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I put a huge box in the middle of the floor (for my 5 year old and 3 year old) and tell them that there are plenty of children out there who don't have toys and that they have to decide what to keep for themselves and what to give away.  They know that if by the end of it, there isn't any toys in that box, they don't get any new toys. For my 1 year old I just do it myself, she is too young to understand of course, lol.  Her outgrown clothes and toys go sit by the curb.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:21 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• You just do it, and they don't have a choice about whether it's done. What they do have a choice over is which ones go. You should decide how many have to go, and then help them choose by laying out 2-3 at a time and making them choose either which one stays or which one goes. If they do not cooperate then you get to decide. They'll catch on and cooperate pretty quickly.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:27 AM on Jan. 21, 2011