Is he jealous?

My husband and I just welcomed a new baby boy to our already family of 3...my oldest son is 4 now...and lately has been very emotional, over the littlest things. I dont understand why...Do you think he is jealous of little bro? Or is it something else...Any other Moms of two have any advice?

MaMa2_DJ_IJ

Asked by MaMa2_DJ_IJ at 6:41 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's not uncommon for kids around toddler age to regress a bit when a new baby comes into the picture. He's caught somewhere between baby and big boy and now there really IS a baby in the picture. He could be a little insecure as to where he fits into the family now. Maybe spend a little extra time and attention on him so that he knows that you still love him as much as you did before the baby. Also, try to get him excited about being a big brother. Talk to him about things he can do to help with the baby and encourage him to play and talk to the baby.
    mrswright1170

Answer by mrswright1170 at 6:45 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I have a 10,3 and 1 year old. When we brought our baby home from the NICU our 3 year old who was then 21/2 was very emotional and did things for attention. Our three year old still acts up from time to time for extra attention even if he is being mischief like squirting strawberry sauce on the carpet. What we do to make the three year old feel better. My hubby and I take turns taking the three year old out even if it is for errands. It helps make him feel special and he actrs tons better. You just need to be patient and whenever you get the chance tell him how good he is and what a great big brother he is. Also have him help bath the baby and change the baby...This also helps. If he asks to hold the baby don't deny him that. It can create more jealousy. If he wants to cuddle cuddle...You get the picture...LOL
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 12:15 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• he feels like he is being left out,my daughter done this when my son was born,spend time with him and youll see improvement
    cruizymum

Answer by cruizymum at 4:39 AM on Nov. 14, 2008