Will working your abs help after having baby?

I am pretty fit and do my abs a couple times a week at the gym. I am now 7 weeks pregnant and still doing just like before. Do you think it will help to get my tummy back after baby? Or I have heard that being pregnant seperates your muscles and so does working your abs so you shouldn't work them while pregnant. Anybody know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It can separate your muscles while you're pregnant. Keeping your weight gain to a minimum is the best thing you can do. Go easy on your abs. You can do standing exercises, which tend to be easier on your abs. Listen to your body. If you're experienced with exercise, you know what to look out for. Drink plenty of water, and STOP if you get light headed. If anything feels like it might hurt, STOP. It's not worth hurting yourself. Just keep active. I rode my bike until 34 weeks, and walked and went to the gym the whole time. I did keep away from the abs, though. Your stomach may not look the same, because your skin gets stretched out, and genes will determine how much it bounces back. You may get the little pooch many of us complain about, regardless of what you do.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:30 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Your abs are not what's going to be stretched out.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:33 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• keep doing them. i did them my whole pregnancy and my muscles did not separate and my labor and delivery was naturally painless and effortless. don't stop doing them...also my tummy did shrink and was flat within 4 days pp. it was firm again within 2 months
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:39 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• these were my abs less than one month pp after 9 months worth of ab workouts while pregnant. i also ran, did cardio, and weight lifted. payed off with a painless labor and rockin abs after

momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:52 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• oh and i don't believe it's genetics at all that have to do with if you bounce back cause all the other women in my family, including my mom, never lost the baby belly...i did cause i worked for it
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:58 AM on Jan. 21, 2011