Have any of you use the epi-no birth trainer to avoid tearing of the perineal area?

Izabellasmami

Asked by Izabellasmami at 11:30 AM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It has never been proven that any of these things will prevent you from tearing. It is really up to genetics, skin elasticity, size of baby...
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:35 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• How was your labor experience? im scared about the tearing, i have been doing the Kegel's excercises.
    Izabellasmami

Comment by Izabellasmami (original poster) at 12:00 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Jademom07 is right. My doctor went straight to the episotomy. He said I was starting to tear anyway and it's easier to stitch a straight line rather than a jagged one. I think that when it comes time to deliver you really aren't going to be worried about tearing so much as getting the baby out. It's really nothing to be scared of and it's pretty easy to recover from. You're going to drive yourself crazy if you dwell on it. However I suppose if you really want to try the trainer there's no harm in it.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 12:26 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• More than those examples is the *way* mom labors.
    If you prefer an intact perineum, work for an instinctual-natural delivery.
    Get off your back, move freely, etc. Lots of ways Mother Nature/God set up for us to care for ourselves...
    My favorite is that moms don't tear into their own hands.
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:50 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I agree with doulala, it really had more to do with mom's position during pushing and how she pushes, i.e. pushing when she has the urge and not when told.

Episiotomies are rarely medically necessary. It may be easier for the Dr. to stitch up but you often tear more than if you'd been left uncut.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 9:59 PM on Jan. 21, 2011