At what age do parents drop off for bday parties?

Just wondering... obviously if the kids are 2-yr-olds then the parents will assume they will be staying and not dropping the kids off unless otherwise indicated, and obviously if they are 10 they will assume they ARE dropping off unless otherwise indicated...

But where is the line? At what age do parents BEGIN to think that if their kid is invited to a party, then the kid will probably be dropped off, and the parents won't stay?

THANKS!!!

FelipesMom

Asked by FelipesMom at 11:47 AM on Jan. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• Seems like around 5 or 6...depending on where the party is
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 12:31 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Around the age of 5 or 6, I started asking the parents when I RSVP'd (if it wasn't clear on the invitation), if it was more of a drop-off situation vs. parents staying the entire time. Sometimes the parent would say that it was up to me, so then I made the decision based on where the party was being held, how many kids were going to be there, how well I knew the parents, ETC.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 11:49 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I don't think I would ever just drop my child off unless it was a sleep over or specifically a kid party until the age of 12 or so. My thought is that the parents could use some extra help.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:51 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I think it depends on the type and location of the party and how well I know the parents as well as my child's age. If it's a big party at a crowded location like Chuck E. Cheese or a pool, I wouldn't leave my child until I felt comfortable with them not being closely supervised. If it was a smaller party at a friend's house where I knew the parents, then I might leave a 5 or 6 year old.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:32 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• For us it started at age 8 or 9. But I know some parents who drop off their 3 year olds, which I would never have done! It is often a personal choice.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:50 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I think it is always a good idea to ask the party planner if they need help with the party. I always did this when my kids where younger. If it is a sleepover party then no, but a regular b-day day party I would ask what can I do to help. If they say nothing and the party is for a few hours then maybe age 7 or 8.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:50 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• For our older 2 we started around 5-6.

For our youngest it will depend on the other parents' comfort level with him. He has to have an emergency med with him at all times in case of a seizure and that's a lot to ask of anyone. If he were "normal" I'd say 5-6 as long as the child is ok with it.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:54 AM on Jan. 21, 2011

• At the bday partys ive thrown ive had parents drop off their 4 year olds. Personally i cant fathom leaving my child alone at a party so i always stay. He is 7 btw.
    babycakesaz

Answer by babycakesaz at 12:41 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• For us it's as soon as they are in school full time (kindergarten) so 5. And 3 or 4 if we know the family or my older kids are going. My 4yo got invited to a neighbor boy's birthday. All 4 of my kids want to go. Shrug. It's Saturday at a house around the corner. If they get their chores done they can go.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:13 PM on Jan. 21, 2011