Headed on a cross-country (Philly to San Diego) flight with my 14-mo old. Any suggestions?

We did not buy a seat for him, but I am crossing my fingers that there will be an available seat. I am bringing my car seat just in case and I'll check it at the gate if there is no room. My parents will be with me, so that'll be a big help, plus we have a 6PM flight, so I'm hoping Jake will sleep a good portion of the flight. I have an etch-a-sketch/doodler, several books, flashcards.
He never got into a binky, but I want something for him to suck on... Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you!

JRB101009

Asked by JRB101009 at 12:11 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is he still on a bottle? Could fill that with milk or 100% fruit juice. I wouldnt normally advocate sugar but perhaps a lollipop? Cuz the most discomfor with be the taking off and landing and children at that age cant regulate the pressure in their ears like orlder kids or adults..
    ArystaBrat

Answer by ArystaBrat at 12:15 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• You could also do fruit snacks since when I fly i chewed gum that helped me it's always better to get a seat for a child instead of depending on one to be open since plans fill up fast and families with children are one of the first to board.
    mom_christian

Answer by mom_christian at 12:33 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Take more snacks than you think you will need in case you are delayed for any reason. My DIL has been very thankful she had extra when the flight got delayed. Hope you have a great flight!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:55 PM on Jan. 21, 2011