White hair in the southern US

This is a serious question. Why do women from southern states dye their hair white? I am talking about women aged 40-60. Certainly these women are too young to have pure white hair. I am not talking about gray, but white like powdered wig white. I used to work with a woman from Dallas who had been transplanted up here (Great Lakes). She was in her 40's and dyed her hair this white color. I've seen lots of photos of Texan women sporting this look. Just this a.m. a woman in Arizona was on the Today Show had the same look. I know women in this age group, they all either color their hair a youthful color or go gray, but no one goes pure white! What is the reason or origin of making hair a color that is reserved for those over 90 years?

Whimsee

Asked by Whimsee at 12:15 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I've known women who bleached their hair. They were aiming for the platinum blond look like Marilyn Monroe, but it looked the same as an elderly person's white hair. I think sometimes the blond is just taken a step or two too far. I live in Texas.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:42 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• not all white women in the south dye their hair white
    ihave10kids

Answer by ihave10kids at 12:16 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• i know alot of women in that age range with white hair, and no, they don't dye it...what i think it is..is that in the south we don't care to cover our gray as much as people "up north" we just go with the flow
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:22 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• My grandmother turned that color by the time she was 28. She wasn't southern either, but...
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:22 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• it is sooooooo not a southern thing lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:46 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• You're sure they've dyed it white?
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:16 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I'm 37 and when I get a "gray" hair it isn't gray, it's completely white. I don't dye my hair, it's naturally a very dark brown, but I'm not going gray, I'm going white!

Answer by missanc at 1:05 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• well if it's just one lady that you know of, it dosen't mean all of us do that to our hair
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• No, the woman I worked with DYED her hair. And not one SINGLE gray hair! All pure white. Maybe the heat does something that hair moves to white and skips gray?
    Whimsee

Comment by Whimsee (original poster) at 12:31 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• must be a southern thing
    kim0167

Answer by kim0167 at 2:23 PM on Jan. 21, 2011