Would you be concerned if daycare provider played Farmville while watching your child?

This person has reached the highest level possible on Farmville, would you think that person devotes a lot of time and energy to Farmville? Would you think that person is an addict? Give me an idea of how much time someone would have to spend to get that far, and is it highly involved? If someone was your daycare provider and playing Farmville while watching your child and they are at the highest level would you think that would compromise their ability to spend quality time with the child?

Isaidit

Asked by Isaidit at 12:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes, because I play farmville in my free time and I am no where near the highest level. It would take a lot of time to get that far.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 12:18 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Yes I would be concerned and I would get my kids out of there and into somewhere where they would be watched and paid attention to. Hell no I wouldn't allow it!
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 12:18 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Maybe she plays Farmville most when the child isn't there.. Just because she is on a high level doesn't mean that is all she does.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:18 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I gotta say if the kid is asleep or otherwise occupied and totally safe and they can see the kid from where they are, I don't see the harm in that particular case. As long as it doesn't cross the line into neglect.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:22 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I would talk to them and let them know this is unacceptable. You are paying them. If they are playing games while watching your child they would be fired. I am not allowed to play games like that when I am teaching during the day. Not even on plan time or lunch time. If we are caught doing things like that we are instantly fired. One teacher was fired in my district this year already b/c she was on FB on her phone during work hours.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 12:26 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• SuperrMommyy ,

If she got to the highest level possible would it be possible to take a 6-8 hr break from it during your waking hours?
    Zoeyis,

Would it be possible to interact in a significant way with a child if you are playing that much to achieve that level?
    Isaidit

Comment by Isaidit (original poster) at 12:26 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• If the care provider is doing it in her free time or while child is napping ( without sound so she can react if child wakes up).. Then I beleieve that is fine. Otherwise I would bring it up as a concern, your childs safety should be upmost important to care giver when looking after your child.
    ArystaBrat

Answer by ArystaBrat at 12:27 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• She is only watching one baby if that changes anything. The baby is 7 months old and is not mobile.
    Isaidit

Comment by Isaidit (original poster) at 12:27 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I'm just saying if the child is napping or playing a game with them self at the time, there are times when there's nothing the sitter/caregiver has to do at the particular moment. So if they don't play a game, I guess they could read a book, flip on the tv, call a friend on the phone. As long as they are physically watching and can see the child, I really don't see the problem. Even us parents don't attach ourselves to the kids 24/7 by the hip, there are times when the kids are playing on their own or watching tv and we aren't necessarily doing anything "with" them but are nearby and thats fine.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:30 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I'm really looking to experienced Farmville players to be able to tell me how involved and for how long during your day would it take to get that far? I always thought she was an addict but now I think I may have the proof because she is on the highest level. I don't know how difficult or time consuming that is to achieve.
    Isaidit

Comment by Isaidit (original poster) at 12:30 PM on Jan. 21, 2011