Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 Bumps

Paternity Investigation need advice please??

Im trying to find the father of my son who was active duty army in 2006. Is there a way i can use the military to help track him down if he etsed??

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

Answers (9)
  • ~*Hugs*~... yes military actually have DNA of all serving so might not even need "daddy".... I have all boys, all males on both sides of my family serve, and my 15 year old is currently in ROTC... and the fact they keep files like this, so if they are lost in war, but can fight off false paternity makes me feel better as a mom of all boys in a really screwed up society!!! Long story, but here in California a man isn't needed to be named as father on a birth certificate, and if you do not know the kid was concieved much less born it doesn't matter, you have to by our laws get a DNA test by child's second BDay or you'll be stuck paying... even if it later proves to not be yours... and also why I am so strict with my boys!!!

    Contact his commanding officer, they will set all into motion, and test to see if it is his kid... Good luck and hope all works out positive for you

    Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

  • Sorry hun I dont think you can unless you have connections. However if you know who is CO was you might be able to get into contact with him and see if he knows anything. Or you could do something as simple as look for him on facebook most people have a page now.
    I supposed you could also try just going into a recuiting office and seeing if they can do anything. It's unlikely but worth a shot.

    Answer by 2murphyboys at 12:36 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

  • You can contact the Department of Defense Data Center and find out if paternity is a permissible reason to search for a member of the military. I know that debt collectors have to check before filing suit against someone to make sure they are not in the military. I'm not sure if paternity issues are permissible.

    Answer by KatyTxMamma at 12:37 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

  • he etsed in 2005 my current husband is army and we're just trying to track this person down for child support how would i get in contact with the department of defense data center i have no unit information for this guy from when i served with him.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

  • Is there a chance you have his social security number? Above all else that single piece of information will help track him down especially through military channels like DoD locater and such.

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:13 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

  • Yes you can. Call your local recruiting office with all the info you have on him. They should be able to tell you his COs name and number

    Answer by JLS2388 at 3:20 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

  • Does this guy even know he is a father? Try to use a little delicacy if he doesn't. It's going to be a shock to him....

    Answer by Robbiesmommy83 at 3:50 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

  • I believe you can.

    Answer by LiLJeni at 9:55 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

  • You should be able to. I had a friend who had to contact the Army to find her son's father. He had found out and immediately dropped all contact with her. Her lawyer contacted the Army and it was taken care of in very short order.

    Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:26 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.