What can I substitute for bourbon in this recipe?

I'm making eggnog cake (we have leftover eggnog that's still good - exp. Feb 6 and I just wanna get rid of it.) and I don't like the flavor when alcohol is added... what can I substitute? It calls for 1/4 cup of Jack Daniel's bourbon. :\ Should I just replace it with 1/4 cup more egg nog?

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 12:30 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Food & Drink

• You you have rum flavoring? It might be flat without the flavor the alcohol brings.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:33 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• You could use more egg nog, if it doesn't have any other flavoring, I'd add a little vanilla extract. I think you could even replace that with water.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:33 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Hmmm... well I DO have the bourbon, I just prefer it with coke, and I prefer it with coke when I'm not pregnant. ;) Unfortunately I don't have rum flavoring. It already calls for some vanilla extract... I'll see what happens if I just add more eggnog... it's such a little amount. That is, unless some of you fine ladies have other suggestions. :)
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 12:39 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Yes, go with more eggnog
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:48 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• You could also use apple cider or juice if you wanted.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:51 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• i don't think using the bourbon will hurt any. the cooking process takes most if not all the of alcohol out of it, doesn't it? i ate beer butt chicken on the grill this summer while pregnant, and it was just juicier, no beer taste or alcohol taste to it.
    as for substitution, i have no idea...good luck!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 1:30 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• You should be find skipping it, but a little extra eggnog won't hurt - I would use the whole amount though, maybe just half. I have a recipe that calls for about the same amount of Captain Morgan and I skip that when I make it for kids to eat (it's not a baked dessert) and it comes out just fine without substituting another liquid.
    Anonymous