TEEN MOMS EXPLOITED?

SO, I was watching television with my guy and we were flicking through the channels once again proving there is nothing on! We stumblemd upon the mtv hit show, teen mom2. Normally i wouldnt watch this but something caught my eye. They were doing a brief news update and stating that now 2 of the teen moms were possibly going to lose their children. Now the question i have is do we as a cummunity find it accepting or mind boggling that such young girls are having babies and then their mamas end up taking care of them? Is it wrong that mtv has produced such a show? is it glorifying the situation? and would you be on it if it were you in the situation. Should these teens be held soley accountable for everything that happens on the show? would u allow your daughter to be on it?

simonsmama2022

Asked by simonsmama2022 at 12:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• No, I would not let my daughter be on it. I don't watch it. I have heard of woman letting their kids watch it. They say it makes them think twice about having sex and getting pregnant. I personally think it should be taken off the air. JMO.
    Anonymous

• Of course MTV is exploiting it...the mere fact that they use it for profit is the definition of exploitation. But...I don't think the show glorifies teen pregnancy. These girls are all in very difficult situations because of their choices, and the boys almost all act like little jackasses! If I were a teen girl, I would certainly not be getting pregnant after watching that show...but then I have some sense in my head too, and you can't accuse a lot of teen girls of having too much sense. I don't know if I would be on the show, and I don't know if I would allow a daughter to be on it.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I personally love having these kinds of shows!!! Support them 100%!!!

When Teen Mom 1 came out I would have my 15 year old (than 13-14) watch them... I would use this show as a way to TEACH my son what to watch out for, why certain things are fantasy to these girls, and was able to tell him how things would play out before they ever did. My son was able to at school avoid what they call an "Emo chick", that was so desperate for attention, she ended up on another guy, knocked up... and thank God that was MY SON!!! We raise our children, do the hard work, and teach them...

Those watching a show like this, than running out to have a cute little baby (like a pocket puppy) to have soemthing love them... probably do not have a strong foundation/upbring at home in the first place???
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:40 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• i dont think it glorifies teen pregnancy at all because i've watched it form the first season and it's anything BUT great, but of course mtv exploits them. they feed off the drama and publicity. and while i wouldnbt want my kid to do the show (more emotional reasons, exploitation, interference of privacy, etc.) i know they pay them pretty well (atleast one of them for sure that i've heard of). so for a teen mom i'm sure being able to have some sort of income is appealing even if it means putting your neck out there for the media to chop off
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 12:43 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I don't think they are bad or should be banned because they are showing teens just how hard it is to be a Teen mother. I do think that MTV most certainly exploits them for the money.
    staciepi

Answer by staciepi at 12:43 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• So glad my son has no children... we teach him to focus on school work, career, and to be able to afford one... and those later in life that aren't all screwed up are the girls worth waiting for...
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:43 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I actually think that these shows...Teen Mom, Teen Mom2 and 16 and Pregnant do the opposite of glorifying teen pregnancy...

Personally when I watched the shows it made even me as an adult with my own house, great job and stable life question having sex with my SO (I was a virgin up til just a few months ago). I can't possibly imagine ANYONE watching the show and wanting to end up like that...its my personal opinion that a young girl watching the show, maybe 16/17 years of age in a committed relationship would watch the show and be afraid to have sex or continue to have sex for fear of pregnancy as nothing good happens to these girls...the show all the negatives...almost every single one has a least one or more of the following negative consequences occur: failing out of high school, struggling to get their GED, never getting a diploma/GED equivalent, kicked out of their parents house, fights with family and friends, no time
    menko21

Answer by menko21 at 12:47 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Sine I have never seen the show I can't say to much but my understanding is that they do not make it look like roses and rainbows. I would not allow my child on that show because I think for the teen on the show it is glorifying to some degree. They get to be on T.V. and get paid. As a PP mentioned though for all of us on the outside looking in it could be a good teaching opportunity for our teens (not that I currently have one). Kind of like how all of us were shown the movie Lean on Me at some point in out teenage years to make us want to stay in school and get good grades.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:47 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• for themselves, boyfriend walks out, fights with boyfriend, break up with boyfriend, someone calls CPS on them, the question of if they ever really wanted a kid to begin with, ridicule from friends/family/tabloids, poor body image, etc.

If a girl sees that and thinks it's a good idea to have sex then there's something more going on than the influence of media on them.

If anything I think the shows are trying to make girls and boys alike think twice before having unprotected sex. "Teen pregnancy is 100% preventable, to find out more; visit itsyoursexlife.com" and at the end of almost EVERY 16 and Pregnant episode you will hear something to the effect of "I really wish I had waited"
    menko21

Answer by menko21 at 12:49 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• how exactly were the teen moms exploited?

did mtv come to their homes, force them to sign the contract and be on the show? did mtv write a script and force amber to abuse gary and treat leah like shit?

thats just their lawyers trying to protect them and find ways to excuse their horrid behavior. jenelle and amber are both pieces of shit and deserve their children taken away. i see no exploitation here at all.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:55 PM on Jan. 21, 2011