New kitten making trouble...lol Need some advice

We have a new kitten that we've added to our home with a few adult cats. The kitten, who is very scrappy and playful, will not stop harassing our older kitties. She chases them, growls at them and hisses, and is actually starting to jump on them a little too.

First, I don't know if this is normal kitten behavior (we typically adopt cats who are out of the kitten stage) that she will outgrow.

Second, how can I curb this? My poor adult kitties are being terrorized--they're scared to death of this kitten, even though they're 3 times her size. Help!

vicesix

Asked by vicesix at 12:45 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Pets

• Normal kitten behaviour. They need to play a lot. They learn at this stage how to be a real cat. That's why mummy cats are exhausted all the time. They have to teach their kittens how to fight, how to hunt, how to climb. Because there is no mummy, kitten has to try it by herself. If you want to save the adult cats from the terror, you have to be the kittens mummy. You have to play a lot with her. It is kinda worse than having a baby. Buy loads of strings, toys she can chase, you have to make her tired so she would go to sleep. Or get another kitten so they can play together:P

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 12:52 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I'd let the older cats show her her place. All that behavior sounds normal to me. She's seeing what her place is in the pecking order

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:48 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• It is normal. Get a spray bottle and spray her everytime she misbehaves. Cats generally tend to hate that, since most don't like water. Therefore, everytime you spray her she'll put two and two together that maybe she shouldn't be doing that. As well just generally telling her "No" will help as well. She will learn, just make sure you're consistent with her.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:08 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• It really is normal and I think your older cats may surprise you. At this point they are just hoping the kitten will leave soon. Once they realize she is here to stay, they will start putting her down. Give the older guys lots of extra love and find them some place safe to sleep.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 1:12 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Normal kitten behavior. Try to limit their interaction if you can, give the big cats a "kitten free zone" to hang out in.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:47 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• what Craft said, and when the big cats are done, they will let kitty know,,..lol
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:49 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• it's normal...however, the adults should have their own space where they can rest...it can take weeks and sometimes even months for them to adjust. The older cats deserve their peace and quiet though :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:50 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I don't think you should scold her-she just wants to play. And the older cats are not into it. I would try to show her a lot of attention and play with her with toys etc. In a few weeks she will calm down and you will be missing all the fun stuff she is doing now. If she has not been spayed yet that will calm her down as well but she is just being a kitten.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 3:04 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• It is normal. I would just give the older cats their own place where the kitten isnt allowed and let them hang out there for some "down time"
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:39 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Yes normal. If kitty is just a little too much, let the adults have a spot away from her. If the kitty is WAY overboard, put her in a little room for "timeout" until she settles. She'll learn (eventually) what is/isn't acceptable.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 7:19 AM on Jan. 26, 2011