• In the Spotlight:

Is it appropriate for a teacher to have a discussion with a parent about snacks for school?

My daughter goes to a very nice & small class size PreSchool. The school a few years back as part of their program started a healthy eating program & part of that healthy eating program they stress to parents to send healthy snacks for snack time, at the beginning of the year they send a list home with NO JOKE 200 suggestions of healthy snacks.

Their is a child in my daughters class that consistently has an "unhealthy snack" everyday, things like fruit by the foot, oreos, chip ahoy cookies, sour patch kids, hershey candy bar (the big size), suckers & the list goes on.

Well I guess the teacher had a private conversation with the mom the other day after class & asked her to please try to bring healthier snacks & gave her a copy of the list. I found this out because the mom was complaining about how it's non of the teachers business what her child brings in so long as it's nut free.

DO you agree? Is it the teachers place to try to enforce healthy snack? Do you think she stepped out of line by privately talking to the mom?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Well its not fair to the other students to see that kid eating a chocolate bar when they have raisins!
    I see no problem with that teacher's decision

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:50 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I think it should be between the child and the parent on what snack they bring to school. I don't think the teacher should have any control over that.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 12:50 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I see no problem with a school trying to keep snacks healthy. That way all the kids snacks are kind of on the same page and there is no fuss over who got cookies and who got 'just and apple' In the preschool world that can cause issues with in the classroom.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:51 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• no, the teacher was not out of line.

at my daughter's school, it is written in the handbook that junkfood like you described is PROHIBITED in the school. if anything like that is brought it will be thrown away. they too stress the importance of healthy snacks, and with all the problems with obesity in our society i for one think its a great thing. if she wants to feed her kid junk she needs to do it at home, not at a school where she is clearly going against school rule by doing so and then throwing a hissy fit about it. she made it the teacher's business by sending it with her daughter.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:51 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Private Pre-School that I'm sure outlined its rules and regulations at sign up - then yes, the teacher had every right to say something as this parent signed their child up KNOWING that healthy snacks were part of the regulations for attending the school.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:52 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I applaud the teachers effort. I have older teens and I think the healthy snack is an important program and will hopefully lead to better eating habits for our children. If school wants to help with this, Im all for it.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• If every other parent is encouraged to supply healthy snacks for their child during snack time then I think it is appropriate for the teacher to have talked to the parent. I'm sure all of the kids would love oreo's for a snack but their parents are following the "rules."
    KatyTxMamma

Answer by KatyTxMamma at 12:54 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• My son's elementary school has lunch subsidies for all the kids. They prohibit unhealthy snacks like that because they could lose that subsidy if the agency came in and saw the kids eating them. Add to that the envy and possible theft/sharing issues caused when Kid A has gummy bears and Kid B is eating ants on a log but would really rather have gummy bears too... and it's chaos and badness.

And if Kid A is bouncing off the walls in class after snack then crashing from her sugar high later and won't come to reading circle, then absolutely the teacher needs to say something.

Personally, if that's what this mom thinks is a good snack in public, what does she feed that kid in private???
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:56 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I think the child's diet is up to the parent. I can understand a rule saying no candy for a snack, but other than that, I think whatever they want to send should be fine.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:57 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I dont see any problem with them talking about it, whether or not I go along with it is another issue. I do have to say with Special Needs kids, my situation is unique so snacks and special conditions have come up and I tend to go along with whatever strategy the teachers feel will work best with my kids. It makes me feel I'm involved and that there is alot of interest in the welfare of my boys, so I really don't mind. Shows they care imho
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:58 PM on Jan. 21, 2011