Have you ever renewed your wedding vows? Where did you get your ideas from?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 1:07 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Relationships

• Well, I've only been married since June. But we're planning on doing something for our 5 year anniversary.

What do you mean by "where did you get your ideas from"?
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 1:14 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• no..but I want to. we had a non-denominational pastor and there was no God in it which was fine at the time because we were both athiest/agnostic (not really sure which). Now that I'm Christian I'd like a church wedding, but not until he's fully committed to God as well.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 1:16 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• We "renewed" and had our rings blessed a little over a month after our "civil" ceremony. And then again for our 15th anniversary. You can do anything from recreating your wedding to an informal backyard bash. Don't know what we'll do for our 25th in a few years.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:16 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• No Our 30th anniversary is in July. We have never felt the need to renew our vows. We have both stayed totally committed to them. We have had friends over the years renew their vows after having serious problems. My husbands parents did a recommittment ceremony on their 50th anniversary. Whatever works for you though.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• We're planning to re-new our vows in 2.5 years for our silver anniversary.   Since we had a church wedding the first time, I would like to have a Pagan Hand fasting the second time.   It's either that or the cheesiest Vegas wedding we can do complete with an Elvis impersonator.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 2:24 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I haven't done it yet, but my husband asked me to do this for our 10th anniversary this coming summer. We haven't decided about any of the details yet, but I have found some ideas on wedding planning sites. Several of the sites I've looked at had a a section for vow renewals. From what I've read it sounds like pretty much anything goes, which is nice, but also a little frustrating when you're looking for guidance.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:26 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• From what I've read it sounds like pretty much anything goes, which is nice, but also a little frustrating when you're looking for guidance.

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom

Exactly Tween! I just need a little guidance. Should we redo it in the church that we got originally got married in. Or should we get married in the city that we met? Or even get married where we reside now.

it seems like it would be cheaper to get married where we met because that's where his parents and their home church are so the venue would be free and they have a beautiful cafe area. The cafe area is small which is perfect because I dont plan to invite many people.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Your in-law's church sounds like a good choice unless it will be difficult for you to coordinate things from a distance.

In our case we are definitely looking for a church service since our original ceremony was at the courthouse. We aren't sure if we want to have the ceremony where we live now or in our hometown where my parents and my husband's grandparents live. I'm leaning towards having it in the town we live in now because I think it will be easier to coordinate everything that way, but it would be more convenient for much of our family if we had it in our hometown.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:13 PM on Jan. 21, 2011