Teaching help

I'm going to college to become a 2nd grade teacher and my college offers a thing in June called College Camp. I have the opportunity to teach a small group of 2nd graders for 1 week in writing. I need help coming up with a lesson plan and rules. Can anyone help me?

hammomof2

Asked by hammomof2 at 1:18 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• there are tons of lesson plans online, just google it, but don't ever just teach from someone else's lasson plan - even starting out, with no experience, you need to look at the lesson plan and decide if it's what YOU want to do, add things, change things, take things out, etc. good luck!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 1:19 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Look online for some 6 traits writing lesson plans- they should have lots of great ideas.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 1:20 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I've been looking online but everything I find has to do with teaching for a full school year and I will only be there for 1 week...Thank you for the reply
    hammomof2

Comment by hammomof2 (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Check on this site http://www.edhelper.com/ I'm pretty sure they have weekly lessons.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:23 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• a lesson plan in letter writing. that's an easy week only lesson and just right for the grade.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 1:46 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Still not finding anything but thanks so much for replies
    hammomof2

Comment by hammomof2 (original poster) at 1:50 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Are you looking at creative writing? how long is each session - meaning an hour? two?

What about focusing on a particular topic at a time. Let's say it is creative writing - then do a day on plot. Use writing prompts to get them started. Talk about what makes a good story? What makes you want to keep reading it? What does a good story have to have? Have them write a page or two and then let those that are comfortable doing so share it with the class. The next day focus on character development - give them another prompt, talk about the topic, etc let them write...

My son was invited to attend one day young author's conference in March. He'll have 4 hours to pick two workshops on creative writing subjects. I can't wait to see what he picks and what he gets out of it!
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:50 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I can choose to teach anywhere from 1 to 4 hours a day. It will depend on my summer class schedule but I'm hoping to be able to do 4 hours a day. I keep going back to working on stories about themselves or have subjects on little pieces of paper and let everyone pick one(of course they won't know until they open the paper what's written). I think I'm having more issues with rules than anything though.
    hammomof2

Comment by hammomof2 (original poster) at 1:55 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• kids going into second or coming out of second. why dont you get a summer -mailbox (brand) magizine - they have lots of good ideas. i would just do a writers workshop with them - letting them write about their interests... as for rules - respect everyone, treat others as you want to be treated, it is just a small summer camp i doubt you wll have major issues and if you do - it is elective - remove that child.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 6:08 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I think they will have just finished 2nd grade...I'm not entirely sure...I have to meet with the coordinater on Monday to get all of the details and get signed up...Thanks for the advice
    hammomof2

Comment by hammomof2 (original poster) at 8:16 PM on Jan. 21, 2011