my 10 day old has gas(colic) anyone know what i can do.. she is breastfed

datgurlmeggy

Asked by datgurlmeggy at 1:23 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I didn't think breastfed babies could get colic.It's one of the reasons some moms choose to bf.
    Anonymous

• lots and lots of breastfed babies get colic. thats just a lie that breastfeeding nazis say......anyway gripe water works wonders, you can find it at cvs or any drug store
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 1:25 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• When feeding, feed her at an angle so her head is above the rest of her. The football hold is good for this. Break the latch halfway through feeding and burp her. My son had a hard time moving gas, and putting him on his stomach helped a lot. Whenever he got really gassy, I'd roll him over and set him on his belly. Also, sits her up, and lean her forward, then backwards. This helps shift the gas and push it up. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 1:26 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I stopped eating dairy and it helped my son when I was nursing
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 1:31 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Might want to check what you're eating along with Biskettless's suggestion. We knew a gal whose son had bad colic and she was bf also....she couldn't figure out why until the day I happened to visit her while she was fixing dinner and I noticed her putting a little garlic in the food. She hadn't even thought about it since that's what they were used to doing.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 2:08 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Good advice above !

Another thing to check is this: sometimes when one's milk lets down at the beginning of feeding the baby gets a flood of milk and has to swallow so fast that a lot of air goes down, too.

An answer to this is to make sure that the baby's head, in addition to being slanted above the rest of the body, is sideways and able to let excess milk spill out the side of her mouth rather than her face being straight up and the excess milk pools to the back of her throat.

Good luck !

waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:44 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Excuse me, I'm what some would call a breastfeeding nazi, and I will most certainly tell you that ANY baby can get colic. And I prefer breastfeeding advocate.

OP, if you're certain it's gas, try some infant gas relief drops.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:00 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• You can try gas relief drops.

If they don't help, I would look into what you are eating. My boys would get gassy when I ate peanut butter or broccoli. They were also dairy intolerant. So I eliminated all dairy from my diet, which isn't as easy as it sounds as there is a lot of dairy derivatives in foods as well.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2011