Victims family suing Schwarzenegger after he reduced prison term of man convicted in stabbing, thoughts?

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – The parents of a college student stabbed to death 2 1/2 years ago sued former California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger on Thursday over his decision to reduce the prison term of a politically-connected assailant convicted in the slaying.

Some legal experts said the lawsuit has little chance of success because California governors historically have enjoyed wide latitude under the law to commute sentences of convicted criminals.

Esteban Nunez, the son of former California Assembly Speaker Fabian Nunez, was sentenced to 16 years in prison after pleading guilty to voluntary manslaughter and assault with a deadly weapon for his role in an October 2008 drunken brawl near San Diego State University that led to the fatal stabbing of Luis Santos, a 22 year-old student.

Schwarzenegger, a Republican, shortened the sentence to seven years in one of his last acts as governor on January 2.

Santos' parents, Fred and Kathy, are seeking through their lawsuit filed in Sacramento to have a California court overturn Schwarzenegger's commutation and force Esteban Nunez to serve his full sentence.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:27 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Sad..... I guess it is all about who ya know.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 1:29 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:30 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I'm getting tired of Governors on their way out reducing sentencesfor people who are guilty of the crimes they were convicted of. First the man in New York who shot an unarmed teen in the face gets out after only serving a few months of his sentence and now this. smh. 

SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 1:33 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Im in California and boy did we see this coming when he did that. Stupid move, very sad and very stupid
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:47 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I don't really have an opinion since I don't know all the details of the case. However, on the face there seems to be favoritism. It's kind of odd since he was leaving office. I do think that many DA's and such are corrupt though and that many times justice isn't served in the way we think it should be. Unless there was new evidence that was in favor of the man convicted I think he should carry out the sentence handed to him. On the other hand, it's not going to bring the victim back. There is also healing in forgiveness.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 4:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• If Arnold got the guy pardoned and there are political connections involved, the people suing haven't got a chance!

P.S. The former governor is a RINO! He is no more a Republican than I am Democrat! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2011