Should I call a doctor?

my four yr old says he fell out of bed this morning (his bed is on the box spring on the floor) he doesnt have a bump or any red marks, and i was right in the next room and I didnt hear it, but he keeps saying he has a headache, I gave him some tylenol, how long should i wait to see if it goes away or should i call the dr?

Nicholeb211

Asked by Nicholeb211 at 1:28 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Will he point to where it hurts?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:29 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• no, he just says "i have a headache" and puts his hand on his forehead
    Nicholeb211

Comment by Nicholeb211 (original poster) at 1:30 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Call the doc. They will either tell you what to look for for concerns, or tell you it's nothing. Can't hurt to consult. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 1:31 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Unless he's vomiting,acting strangely,or wanting to sleep alot,there's nothing a doc can really do for him. A CT will be costly and will probably show nothing abnormal. He should be fine with the meds.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:32 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Call the doc if he has at least 2 of these symptoms.. I've hit my head hard before with no concussion and it does give you a headache.

* Mild to moderate headache.

* Dizziness or loss of balance.

* Nausea (feeling sick) or vomiting (throwing up).

* Change in mood (becomes restless, sad, or irritable).

* Change in the way your child plays or works at school.

* Trouble thinking, remembering things, or concentrating (giving full attention to one thing for a period of time).

* Ringing in the ears.

* Short-term loss of newly learned skills, such as toilet training.

* Drowsiness or decreased amount of energy.

* Change in normal sleeping pattern (sleeps more than usual or cannot sleep).

alinker

Answer by alinker at 1:32 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• thanks ladies!
    Nicholeb211

Comment by Nicholeb211 (original poster) at 1:33 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• they said to me in the er that unless he faints or goes to sleep and doesn't wake up to take him to the er... i had also with my 3 years old , i freak out...lol
    clarasusana

Answer by clarasusana at 1:46 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• he is acting just as normal as possible, it just seemed odd to me, he never complains about being hurt, I on the other hand have migraines on a regular basis, but he is in his room playing with his hotwheels like normal, so i guess i'll just let it ride out, thanks to all of you for your advice!
    Nicholeb211

Comment by Nicholeb211 (original poster) at 1:51 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I would call a chiropractor. At that distance and the absence of any secondary symptoms, it seems unlikely that he has a concussion. But he may have landed awkwardly and a subluxation would cause headaches. Most qualified chiropractors will adjust children and there are pediatric chiropractors in some areas.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:31 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Try giving him more liquids. If he is dehydrated he could get a headache.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 11:28 PM on May. 5, 2011