certified mail sent but hasent been picked up...what now?

on tuesday i sent a deposit request form along with a letter saying we have tried to contcat landlord for 2 1/2 months now i called the post office and he wasent there to get the mail so they left a note saying he had a certifided letter to pick up and he has still yet to get it. in the form we gave him 7 days to respond. what do we do now? what if he dosent pick it up? he avoids any phone calls and messages we leave him we thought this mail would at least get him to call us or send something. just incase anyone asks..i live in NH.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Jan. 21, 2011 in Money & Work

• It sound like this landlord is not accepting your rent. Are you guys behind? Has he threatened you to move? Something seem very odd here.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 1:32 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I'm sorry can you be more specific? Are you guys trying to rent a house from him, or are you trying to pay rent?
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 1:33 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• The reason I asked is because my friend was once in this situation. She was behind on her rent, and when she tried to pay, the landlord did not accept it, and asked her to move.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 1:34 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• im sorry ladies.....we moved out of the rented place and bought a house. we lived there for 4 yrs and gave more then 30 days notice. since we have moved he has been avoiding all calls wont talk to us. we have called regaurding our seceruty deposit back. so last resort was to send certifided mail asking for it...again sorry ladies xo
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:39 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I believe the post office will attempt the letter via that slip to sign one more time for sure. A final attempt slip will go out to him and then it will be returned to you. The post office documents on the letter every attempt made at trying to deliver the letter. So, if this ends up in court make sure you hold on to the letter once it is returned.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:41 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Oh okay...take his a.. to court.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 1:46 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• You took all the proper, legal steps when you gave your 30 day notice. This man is trying to avoid you simple as that. He does not want to return the deposit, and you watch if this goes to court, he'll try to say you guys damaged the place somehow. How much was your initial deposit? The law state that if you give proper notice, leave the rented place in great condition, then you're entitled to your deposit, but "MOST" landlords try to come up with bogus excuses to hold on to it, and I bet this is what he's trying to do. He knows not to accept that certified mail. This guy is up to no good.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 1:50 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Call small claims court and see if you can file suit against him. This man is trying to keep your deposit, and if it were me, I would not sit around and wait to hear from him because you're not going to. He's probably hoping this will go away.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 1:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• Before suing though, (And spending even more $) I would suggest getting an attorney to send him a letter on his official letterhead, outlining the facts you stated above, and your intent to proceed with litigation if the deposit is not returned, seeking not only the deposit but further funds for pain and suffering/harassment. A good attorney should do this for a minimal fee, if not for free!
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 1:55 PM on Jan. 21, 2011

• I agree with the other ladies. Make sure you keep proof of all your attempts to contact the landlord. I hope you can work things out. that sucks.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 8:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2011